Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up an IBM PS/2E (Model 33), have a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I've got one of these that has a failing hard drive, is there a max hard drive size that it can use? I have a 1.5gb or so drive out of a Thinkpad I wanted to swap in
    Documentation indicates that these machines can boot from a compact flash card/adapter in PCMCIA slots, so it may be worth your time to go that route. I can't imagine what else I'd put in those pcmcia slots!

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Hm I thought these models didn't have reference disks. I'll get one made this evening and try again.
    haha, you're right -- but IBM being IBM made similar type disks, but called them "starter" and "utility" disks... i can't with them.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Documentation indicates that these machines can boot from a compact flash card/adapter in PCMCIA slots, so it may be worth your time to go that route. I can't imagine what else I'd put in those pcmcia slots!
    you should try and IBM microdrive in the PCMCIA holder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Thinkpa...AAAOSwyApcLoyp

^^ ends in 4 hours, zero bids.

9533 Supported Bootable Devices

Michal Necasek writes:
    Why didn’t anyone tell me that the 9533 can boot off PCMCIA hard disks (which means CF in my case)? That’s a very useful feature...

"Plug-n-Play introduces four PCMCIA slots with electronic lock and unlock utilities, RIPL and booting support"

Buried near the bottom of the announcement letter is a list of bootable devices.
    o Solid state file
    o PCMCIA Hard Drive
    o IBM PCMCIA Token-Ring Adapter -- RIPL (0933462)
    o 1.44MB Diskette Drive (32G3090)
    o 120MB Hard Drive (32G3125).

I acquired one of these machines recently as well. I just got done setting it up with 15MB RAM, math co-processor, and an IDE-to-CF adapter with a 512MB CF card. I also put in an ISA Sound Blaster, as it's rare to set a PS/2 up with a sound card. The CF card works great, and I installed a triple-boot on it (MS-DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, and Win 95).

I replaced the HD with a CF so now it's totally silent (no power-supply fan, no HD spin, etc). It's a great machine, and one of my new favorites.

Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    I acquired one of these machines recently as well. I just got done setting it up with 15MB RAM, math co-processor, and an IDE-to-CF adapter with a 512MB CF card. I also put in an ISA Sound Blaster, as it's rare to set a PS/2 up with a sound card. The CF card works great, and I installed a triple-boot on it (MS-DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, and Win 95).

I replaced the HD with a CF so now it's totally silent (no power-supply fan, no HD spin, etc). It's a great machine, and one of my new favorites.

Enjoy it!
    Hmm, I think I might get a cf card for mine, totally silent sounds great! Maybe I can find a pcmcia sound card and cd drive for it too

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post

Enjoy it!
    I am considering pulling the PCMCIA card out and putting a soundblaster in as well, I've got a ton of those parallel port ethernet adapters that will get this onto internet pretty easily.