Image Map Image Map

Thread: How many IBM 5150 were produced and sold?

Default How many IBM 5150 were produced and sold?

How many IBM 5150 were produced? How many of them were sold? BTW: How many cards upgrading processor to maximum(maybe You known if it is more than 386 for this computer) were sold?

Blog Entries

The number of 5150s produced was around 3 million and just about all were sold*. An issue of InfoWorld done right around the time the PS/2 was introduced has a nice break down of total sales for the entire IBM line but I can't seem to locate it in quick searches. Something to look for if you want a more accurate number.

CPU upgrade cards numbers are hard to find. I think Intel made an announcement when sales hit 10,000 for the InBoard 386 but can't find a supporting article. I would be surprised if the entire market of CPU upgrade cards exceeded 100,000.

* Some machines were used for testing or for demo purposes and thus not sold.

Thank You for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    An issue of InfoWorld done right around the time the PS/2 was introduced has a nice break down of total sales for the entire IBM line but I can't seem to locate it in quick searches.
    Probably the breakdown at [here].