Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compaq Portable First Model Number?

The “silver badges” I’m talking about; just take a look at the ones shown in the link below. Silver badge, with the Compaq logo and nothing else. Any later models will have the Compaq logo with something else written under it. But since this was Compaq’s first product, it was simply labeled “Compaq”.

http://oldcomputers.net/compaqi.html

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    The “silver badges” I’m talking about; just take a look at the ones shown in the link below. Silver badge, with the Compaq logo and nothing else. Any later models will have the Compaq logo with something else written under it. But since this was Compaq’s first product, it was simply labeled “Compaq”.

http://oldcomputers.net/compaqi.html
    Yeah, I believe the Plus actually said "Plus" on that badge along with the Compaq logo

yes the plus does say PLUS. I have an original model 1 I bought from the original owner who told me how he used to take it on planes. He was an architect and he is still working at the firm he was working on in the 80's when he used it, I bought it from him there.

My model 1 has the original badge.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Yeah, I believe the Plus actually said "Plus" on that badge along with the Compaq logo
    Yep, and the badge is gold too.

Blog Entries

Thanks. So there's no significance to the A 2 that appears under the voltages beside the "Model: Compaq" on the back?

I wondered what the A 2 meant. I've seen an A 3 there as well.

Does anyone know how the serial number scheme worked? ie if you just rely on the last 5 or 6 digits?

Just checked mine, and it's an A2. Not as low of a serial as I thought, it's 3450998-s

I just took a look in my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and it indicates that the Portable and Plus are the same thing service-wise (same system boards, ROMs, etc.) with the only noted difference being that the hard drive controller was in the Plus only.