Image Map Image Map
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those of you in charge here, please consider!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Those of you in charge here, please consider!

When the time comes when you decide to upgrade VBulletin, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do it! XenForo is better in every way (from the user's perspective) and it's even CHEAPER than VBulletin.

I've never used either of these from the other side of the wall. But really, XenForo is so much faster, and just does everything right. The new versions of VBulletin depart from the way things are done here, in bad ways.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

We can put XenForo on the todo list of things to look at.

Does it have a migration utility? If not, it's going to be a hard sell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    We can put XenForo on the todo list of things to look at.

Does it have a migration utility? If not, it's going to be a hard sell.
    Some quick Google searches seem to indicate that there is a migration route from vBulletin to Xenforo.

Anyways, if it's a question about moving away from vBulletin, then my vote will always be yes...

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Some quick Google searches seem to indicate that there is a migration route from vBulletin to Xenforo.

Anyways, if it's a question about moving away from vBulletin, then my vote will always be yes...
    I think everyone generally dislikes vBulletin but yeah, having built some forums in the past, it's hard to completely swap out an entire forum then it is to just do a quick upgrade and move on. Especially in a case like this where the entire site is maintained by volunteers who don't have time or much incentive really to go through the effort. Usually quite a bit of effort involved running concurrent platforms until your comfortable switching everything over, and then possibly hours to a day of being down while the migrations happen (and hopefully don't error out). The best way is to do it on a separate server, but then still have DNS propagation to contend with.

Anyway, I wouldn't envy anyone facing the task.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

May I ask what the specific issue(s) with new VBulletin is? I don't follow all of the different forum programs as closely as I should.

Went through a forum migration on another site a while back, and there are things that will probably never work right now. On top of that the forum developers seem to be moving in the direction of washed out dumbed down "mobile" appearance. My idea of forum perfection, at least from the user end, is something like: http://forums.mozillazine.org/

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    May I ask what the specific issue(s) with new VBulletin is? I don't follow all of the different forum programs as closely as I should.
    vBulletin 5.x requires JavaScript for basic navigation and forum functionality, and their developers became obstinate and defensive when called out on it.

Out of curiosity, I checked what the other forums I visit use:

68kMLA: Invision Community
    Audiokarma: XenForo 2017
    MSFN: Invision Community 2018
    NASIOC: vBulletin 3.7.0
    Steve Hoffman Music Forums: XenForo 2017
    Tapeheads.Net: vBulletin 3.8.5
    TDIClub Forums: vBulletin 3.8.5
    Videokarma: vBulletin 3.8.4
    Vogons: phpBB 2013
    VWVortex: vBulletin 4.2.2

So far (thankfully) none of the places I ever have a reason to visit are using vBulletin 5.x. And most are using older versions than here!

As for XenForo, based on my experience with the two sites which I frequent that use it, it seems to be very fast and works very well. The only thing that confused me at first is that private messages are referred to as "conversations".

Invision Community is very slow and bloated, and phpBB seems frozen in time in 2003, and not necessarily in a good way.

The older Invision worked fairly sensibly as I recall. I used to visit the MSFN forums all the time until they upgraded, and the the entire site became a pain to look at, even in a "modern" browser.

I've been told phpBB is a mess underneath the hood, but I've never had a chance to look for myself. But damn it works sensibly above the hood.

I have a list a mile long of UI complaints regarding the "Vanilla Forums" including the presence of a useless "activity wall" feature that can't be totally turned off that people keep mistaking for private messaging. Supposed to be decent under the hood though.

Eh, can hardly find a single sensible product these days.

"Vanilla" forums: Yes, never go there. The UI works against the user all the time. It doesn't even have a functioning 'mark all as read'.

Did I miss some announcement that vbulletin is going to be replaced here at vcf and opinions on alternatives are being solicited? I regularly visit 3 or 4 forums that have migrated off vb to something else, and for me the "something else" has always seemed worse and harder to use. Is therer some significant functionality that would be gained from spending the hundreds (or more) of man-hours needed to migrate these forums to "something else"?

+ Reply to Thread