Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking a Rigol 1052e to 100mhz?

Blog Entries

Default Hacking a Rigol 1052e to 100mhz?

I have a Rigol 1052e. I don't really understand these things work yet or why however many mhz they have matters, or how much you really need for the purposes of vintage computer repair, but I understand one can 'flash' a 1052e so that it becomes like it's 100mhz brother, the 1102e.

I'm wondering if there would be unintended consequences with this. Scopes are a precision instrument and I wonder how messing with firmware on a digital scope could affect accuracy? Or does it?

Is there any point given the vintage equipment I'm working on? Do I need more mhz?

Blog Entries

Some scopes, newer ones at least, are designed with an upgrade path. Do some homework, you should be able to determine if it's a legit, safe upgrade. But if I were you I would get some experience using it as is. All this stuff is still confusing to me. But as is I imagine it's sufficient for any (mid 80s) vintage troubleshooting. The probe needs to be appropriate. Plug it in and start examing waveforms. But be sure and read the freaking manual first. Even before that find a basic tutorial on scopes. Worry about any possible upgrades when the need arises.

Some of these are a real bitch to get going even before you get to look at a square wave. Yours looks like a nice basic scope that's ideal for what you want to do.

Blog Entries

100MHz should be fine for your work. Heck, I suspect that 20MHz would be.

Blog Entries

I looked at a few videos. A 10mhz signal is no problem. You're good to go. I personally am constantly planning upgrades. Enjoy what you got and be happy.

Do use caution some sampling scope only do the highest speeds sampling for repetitive signal. This is not much good for most digital work. I'm not sure what the modification is in your instrument. As was mentioned, use it the way it was first intended. If you find a case that you need a faster sample rate, then consider what that modification means.
    Take the scope you have out and look at some signal. Experiment with different horizontal sweep rates. I do hope your scope has delayed capture. If so look at how you might use that for particular purposes. Understand your scope before you really need it. It will make your life much easier.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Yup all worthwhile advice. But the Keysight blogs do mention bandwidth upgrades via software.

I did mine to 100mhz and all is good, had it for a couple of years now, the only drawback is you loose your warranty. One thing to take into account: Rigol's probes at x1 setting have a 35mhz specification

Blog Entries

Rigol's probes at x1 setting have a 35mhz specification
    That's not at all uncommon in the world of oscilloscopes, unless you're using active probes. Which is a good reason to use probes at x10 unless you're working with very low voltages.

Blog Entries

35mhz is still adequate for a lot of vintage troubleshooting.

Blog Entries

But usually, there's no good reason to run probes at x1 if an x10 setting is available. Active probes being the exception.