Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whats The Best Windows 10 Software For Scanning Floppy Disks For Errors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    How can you tell when they need to be aligned?
    The disk works in one PC floppy drive but performs poorly in another and vice-versa. I don't fix 'em - they go in a box and grab something else. Looks like I'm being tested.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I've never had a drive that needed alignment. I've got a couple of dozen drives, several thousand disks and have had hundreds and hundreds of bad disks, though. But it's always been the disks that were bad and never the drives, themselves.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I've never had a drive that needed alignment. I've got a couple of dozen drives, several thousand disks and have had hundreds and hundreds of bad disks, though. But it's always been the disks that were bad and never the drives, themselves.
    I didn't say they wouldn't work, just that there was a problem swapping floppies between some PC's. That's been a known problem with some 3.5 drives since they first appeared. On the other and, I have a few that over 30 years old and work as advertised.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    I recently bought a lot of 30 3.5" floppy disks off ebay. After the first two failed to format, I slid the door aside and inspected the disk surface visible. Every disk had multiple coating flaws, indicating that they were not stored properly. After sending them back, I had to clean the heads on the drive to get it working again. Now I make a visual inspection the first step in assessing a disk. Much faster than formatting, too.
    Thats why I never buy "new" disks that are not in a sealed box. Used 5.25" disks stored in humid places tend to get moldy so beware of that also.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems