Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When will Windows XP finally become abandonware?

Blog Entries

Never. Has MS ever released any OS to the public domain?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

^^ yes(ish) - MS-DOS 1.x & 2.0 are now on GitHub under an MIT license*. I wouldn't be too surprised to see 6.2 & Win 3.1 up there sometime in the future.

IMHO, XP is still too "modern" and shares too much with the current Win10 platform to expect a source drop anytime soon, but who knows.

(* Yes, I KNOW MIT isn't public domain. It's still a "free" licence.)

Blog Entries

...and the source for 6.0 has been wandering around the web for years. Probably unauthorized by MS, but it's useful for determining exactly how something works.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    You are asking on completely the wrong forum. Nobody on this site deals with software on the basis of abandonment. Those sites that do, have their own differing opinions and safety margins.

Yes. Anything that includes activation will eventually become impossible to install or re-install. Many software titles have already fallen victim to this sort of problems. Your software disk is now just a shiny coaster.
    While I agree with your post, I do disagree that it's impossible to install it reinstall anything with activation. Certainly there are legal issues, but definitely no technical ones to stop anyone from installing and circumventing activation.

The only true issues are those where the software doesn't actually exist on the disk but only in the cloud.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Mac 512K, Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blog Entries

I install 2009PosReady all the time without activation. Even generic XP Pro can have activation circumvented. I don't believe that I'm in violation of the law--I own the software license.

Blog Entries

The ones that I dislike are the older version of the Xilinx tools. Gives me problems every time I use it...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Dave,

+1 for the Xilinx tools...

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    There is no such thing, at least in Copyright terms as "Abandonware". If the Copyright owner is know but refuses to communicate then you can't legally copy the work and the owner can sue you if you do.
    My assumption that Abandonware referred to released commercial software whose vendor had gone out of business and whose assets were not acquired by another company or individual. It is quite obvious though that the name has been well abused to refer to products that are End-Of-Life, where the vendor may still exist and if not another entity actively retains the rights but will not offer any product support or patches. This was asked in the SGI community after Rackable and then later HPe bought what remained of Silicon Graphics. HPe especially no longer offers any support but unfortunately Irix licensing for example does not fall under Abandonware.
    There is just a lot of mutual turning a blind eye where it's not really allowed and really nobody with a sane mind should be using the software in modern deployments but as long as the number of geniuses ringing them up asking for support is still next to nothing they have no reason to spend money on the lawyers to start pulling downloads.
    Last edited by NeXT; January 12th, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Dave,

+1 for the Xilinx tools...

Dave
    I keep a system with the down-level Xilinx tools permanently installed. It's the only way to protect my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    My assumption that Abandonware referred to released commercial software whose vendor had gone out of business and whose assets were not acquired by another company or individual.
    You know what assumptions are worth don't you?

Abandonware is not a legal term -- it is purely slang. If you were to utter the term abandonware in front of a judge he would likely laugh at you and then double the amount of your fine.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step