Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hxc floppy emulator

Blog Entries

Default Hxc floppy emulator

I got a Hxc floppy emulator with a USB for a Kaypro 2x. I have got to the point where I can get it to boot and run a program. It took me some time but like everything it's not too bad once you figure it out.
    I can't get it to do a warm boot after running a program. I can reset the system and it will reload.
    I also can pick a disk on the display but can't load it to replace the disk.
    Any help would be appreciated.FloppyEmulator.jpg
    Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

Blog Entries

With some good help from Verault I've got my 2X working. I'm still in the learning curve on operating it but I'm very glad I made the investment. It makes things much easier.
    The biggest difference between this unit and the Gotek (besides price) is that it comes with the Hxc already installed.Hxc2.jpgHxc1 (2).jpg
    Kaypro 1,2,II,2X,10 Apple IIe Apple IIgs Commodore 128d, 64 IBM 5160 Ampro littleboard

Nice work! once you get the hang of that you can work on installing the FreHD into it! Im working on building two units now.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Nice work! once you get the hang of that you can work on installing the FreHD into it! Im working on building two units now.
    Hey, not meaning to Hijack the thread but I am actually interested in a few things in this thread. I was given a kaypro ii (since my kaypro 2/84 (that davejustdave gave me) couldn't be repaired due to bad kaypro custom chips) and was thinking of swapping out one of the full height drives for a half height plus gotek. Do you (or anyone) know if the kaypro supports 3 drives?

Secondly, I'm actually interested in the freHD since I was thinking of doing one for my TRS-80 but didn't know it would work on the kaypro as well. How are you "building" them.. you getting the boards made from somewhere or what?
    -- Brian

Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, Kaypro 2/84 (Not working )

ngtwolf,
    Sure, the Kaypro will support up to 4 floppy drives, but you need an adapter board that plus into the floppy port on the
    Motherboard and also the Micro Cornucopia PRO8 ROM. I've got A: as a standard Boot Floppy Drive, and two Teac
    DS DD 48 TPI folppy's as B: & C:.

I'd have to look at the adapter board to see exactly what it does.

The GOTEKS need the Firmware Flashed, and any other Hardware MOD's (display installed versus the 3 Digit LED's
    and possibly a 20 Detent Rotary Encoder with Pushbutton select. It's all explained on the Wiki.)

Larry

Larry, The question I have is does the Osborne 1 support 4 drives? I dont want to remove my two working floppy drives, but I want to add a third drive (gotek) to the floppy storage bay. I know its not pertinent to this particular thread but they are similar CP/M machines.

With my kaypro units, I replace the A: floppy with a gotek with HXC firmware, sound and lcd mod and they work great plus, having an actual floppy drive is convenient to copy files over.

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    ngtwolf,
    Sure, the Kaypro will support up to 4 floppy drives, but you need an adapter board that plus into the floppy port on the
    Motherboard and also the Micro Cornucopia PRO8 ROM. I've got A: as a standard Boot Floppy Drive, and two Teac
    DS DD 48 TPI folppy's as B: & C:.

I'd have to look at the adapter board to see exactly what it does.

The GOTEKS need the Firmware Flashed, and any other Hardware MOD's (display installed versus the 3 Digit LED's
    and possibly a 20 Detent Rotary Encoder with Pushbutton select. It's all explained on the Wiki.)

Larry
    Has anyone made a copy of the floppy adapter board?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    Has anyone made a copy of the floppy adapter board?
    What do you mean by floppy adapter board? The gotek itself or the floppy pin to card edge adapter? For Gotek, I pay about $14.00 online for the unit, another couple bucks for the oled screen and piezo speaker. The HXC firmware of course costs extra.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    What do you mean by floppy adapter board? The gotek itself or the floppy pin to card edge adapter? For Gotek, I pay about $14.00 online for the unit, another couple bucks for the oled screen and piezo speaker. The HXC firmware of course costs extra.
    The adapter board Larry mentioned that works in conjunction with the MicroCornucopia ROM to allow four drives to be used.

missed that part! anyone have any photos on that board or info on the ROM?