Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentium Pro Build. Need Case Recommendations

Default Pentium Pro Build. Need Case Recommendations

I have a dual Pentium Pro 200 system i'm building and i'm having trouble finding a "full tower" case for this beast. Can anyone recommend one? All of the full tower cases look like mid towers to me, and I don't think my motherboard will fit. Shoot me your suggestions or links. Thanks!
    Collector of socket 3, 5, 7, and 8 CPU's.

AT or ATX? oh... and I definitely have what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    AT or ATX? oh... and I definitely have what you need.
    I need a ATX case for my large Intel dual PPRO motherboard. Send me pictures and prices of what you have to dan87951 at gmail
    Last edited by dan951; January 11th, 2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan951 View Post
    I need a ATX case for my large Intel dual PPRO motherboard. Send me pictures and prices of what you have to dan87951 at gmail
    The black ATX case is sold and two of the beige AT cases are sold. There are two beige cases left. One AT and one ATX. I will reserve the ATX for you. They have a programmable MHz LED plus six individual HDD activity LEDs. They have a few scuffs and scratches, but are in overall solid shape. They even have a set of castor wheels you can attach. Just selling the cases, parts have been removed.

servers1.jpgservers2.jpg
    Last edited by liqmat; January 11th, 2019 at 08:22 PM.

PM sent.

Blog Entries

I think you need an EATX case depending on the motherboard. I use a Inwin Q500 tower for my pr440fx and a generic full tower for my Micronics W6-li since it fit.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

How big is your Mobo (inches)? I have 2 possibilities here, but I'm in NJ. Both will house an actual 12" x 13" SSI EEB Mobo. E-ATX can mean anything and is often deceptive. 1 case will *not* allow such a Mobo *and* 5 1/4" devices though.

Also don't assume a full tower can fit or even have suitable holes drilled for an "E-ATX" board. My Antec CS-600? Soho full tower could not. Modification is always an option, but I figured I was better off selling it.

Blog Entries

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811353105

- 16$ cheaper if you took the open box one. You must do due diligence and research the specific size Mobo it'll take, as it isn't that specific (remember E-ATX really can mean just a smidgeon bigger then ATX).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811853064

A nice looking case, I'm almost tempted to buy one. If you look inside, it seems it should definitely take a 12 x 13, but again inquire. Forget about any 5 1/4' devices though, which is a common trade-off in a low cost server board capable case.

I know nothing about PPros, nor care, but if they're anything like socket 771 Xeons, and presumably not, you're biggest problem is providing adequate cooling. That is finding suitably quiet fans, where the hell to mount them. Some components need the schnitzel blowing right on top of them. That means nearly everything, including ram. The only practical solution seems to be liquid cooling. For now I just leave the side panel off and aim a 12" desk fan at the Mobo, which does a perfectly adequate job. But why buy a case then???
    Last edited by 2icebitn; January 14th, 2019 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I found a new old stock Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA case and it should be arriving any day now. This case has both 5-1/4 and a 3-1/2" drive bays.

My motherboard is a Intel PR440FX.

Blog Entries

The tech PDF says it's designed to fit in an atx case. Therefore any case would do.