Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How viable is a universal PC parallel/serial connected CP/M disk controller/drive?

>> I was desperate enough to figure out how to blink an LED on the keyboard and taped a phototransistor over that and dumped the hard drive data by blinking it out.

This deserves some sort of award.

Blog Entries

Well, it wasn't fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    On one, I was desperate enough to figure out how to blink an LED on the keyboard and taped a phototransistor over that and dumped the hard drive data by blinking it out.
    Kudos Chuck, that's proper hardcore!

I am currently questing to get proper image dumps of my System/36 hard drives. Currently I'm considering wiring RTS/DTR from a FTDI cable to the 'down' and 'submit' buttons on the keyboard with an old DSLR camera with Linux control support pointed at the screen while running the diagnostic hex dump utility built into the ROM. Shell script (pseudo example): while true; do keydown /dev/ttyUSB0; sleep 1; cameractrl capture > frame${i}.png; ocrtool frame${i}.png >> dump.text; done
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

There's always a way.