Image Map Image Map

Thread: Roland Super JV-1080 for a PC?

Default Roland Super JV-1080 for a PC?

Would a Roland Super JV-1080 work in place of a MT-32? I just found one on ebay and thought it looked pretty cool.

I mean, assuming you're talking about MIDI signalling, of course. Any MIDI capable device will work. Mad versatile synth, I have one in my studio that I use for ambience in my music.
    [Sorry, this signature is not available in your country/region]

It may be possible to rig it up with a roughly-equivalent patch set to the MT-32 factory set, though it's been a million years since I owned one and I can't remember how easy it is to change MIDI program-number mapping. However, it's not going to work with MT-32 specific patch sets, so any game that uses a custom set is going to sound wrong.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

It is General Midi compatible, it is not MT32 compatible. It will work like an SC55 or SC88 in the GM sense.