Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC 5170 need help with PAL16L8 and 28S42

1. Default

U87 is done. Unfortunately, Minilog can't handle more than 2000 input terms, so just a raw file for now:

U87.zip

Does anyone know where to get some software that can minimize this file ?

Blog Entries

Curious, I've been wanting to program these also and just wondering if I would just load these files up in my programmer and burn it or is there more to it?

You need to look for 3state controls as well as high and low on the pals.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by newold86 View Post
    Does anyone know where to get some software that can minimize this file ?
    Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    LogicFriday is a great tool for this. But it seems the author's web-site is expired. Still available on CNET.downloads.
    Minimized:
    Code:
    ENDCYCn = RES0WS FSYS16' Q4' AIOW' IORn  + RES0WS FSYS16' Q4' IOCS16  + RES0WS Q4' Q1' ;
    DMAAENn = AEN2n AEN1n ;
    GATE245 = AEN2n XA0'  + AEN2n' AEN1n  + FSYS16' AEN1n'  + FSYS16 AEN1n AIOW' IORn  + FSYS16 AEN1n IOCS16'  + AEN1n XBHE;
    DIR245 = AEN1n AIOW'  + AEN2n' AEN1n  + AEN1n XBHE;
    DATACONV = FSYS16 AIOW' IORn  + FSYS16 IOCS16'  + Q1'  + AEN1n'  + AEN2n'  + XA0  + XBHE;
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Sabertooth View Post
    Curious, I've been wanting to program these also and just wondering if I would just load these files up in my programmer and burn it or is there more to it?
    No, not in this form, meaning the zip file, not eeguru's source level code. It it possible to do a EPROM or FLASH but you have to make sure the circuit it controls is protected from glitches. A PAL has logic in a particular sequence. A ROM may have any combination of address that are changing as glitches on the output.
    Dwight

I also ran U130 through LF and got the same minimizations.

Code:
    IRQ13 = ERRORn' ;
    BUSY286n = 0;
    NPCSn = XA3' + INTAn'  + CS287n  + SMIO ;
    RESET287 = INTAn CS287n' SMIO' XIOWn' XA0 XA3' + RESET ;
    Simplest next step is rewrite the minimization syntax in CUPL and create a JEDEC file for ATF16V8 programming. Those are still available new from most online parts distributors. If you post the pinouts, I can do that if you like.

Many PROM programmers with burn ATF16V8s. If you don't have one, I can burn and send you a few.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    No, not in this form, meaning the zip file, not eeguru's source level code. It it possible to do a EPROM or FLASH but you have to make sure the circuit it controls is protected from glitches. A PAL has logic in a particular sequence. A ROM may have any combination of address that are changing as glitches on the output.
    Dwight
    Well, in that case hopefully the ones I pulled off the board are still good. It just would have been nice to have a backup ready just in case. Thanks

Blog Entries

Amazing that I did a 14-part blog on this in 2011 and nobody seems to have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Amazing that I did a 14-part blog on this in 2011 and nobody seems to have noticed.
    And an excellent blog it is Unfortunately not easily found with the ton of garbage that's in the blog section, I was looking for that a while back and got miffed at all the crap in there, Then it dawned on me to find one of your post's and click on the blog entries:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post

Nice but what about 3state outputs?
    Dwight