Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5170 not completing POST

F6CCD2DB-1C36-40AA-A3DC-170BCE53C43B.jpg

I’m fairly confident they’re in the right place/orientation. Now as to whether or not they’re corrupted, that’s a different story. I’ll try to acquire a set of Landmark ROMs, and maybe a 286 if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Macintosh View Post
    I’m fairly confident they’re in the right place/orientation.
    Looks good to me.

What would be a good video card to use with the supersoft/landmark test roms? From the Minuszero page about them for the 5170, he states that most cards do not work with the test roms. But some must. I'd like to get a working one for future troubleshooting.
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

I also got one of those PC Analyzer cards. see picture. the manual is very minimal for IBM bios. It only mentions about beeps for IBM bios. I get no beeps, just code 02 01 on my 5170 board.
    I did test the PSU with a PSU tester and it is good.
    Thought suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    What would be a good video card to use with the supersoft/landmark test roms? From the Minuszero page about them for the 5170, he states that most cards do not work with the test roms. But some must.
    You are paraphrasing me. Of course there are cards that work. See what is written at [here].

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    I also got one of those PC Analyzer cards. see picture. the manual is very minimal for IBM bios. It only mentions about beeps for IBM bios. I get no beeps, just code 02 01 on my 5170 board.
    I did test the PSU with a PSU tester and it is good.
    Thought suggestions
    Why are you hijacking this thread ? It causes confusion to old folk like me, getting confused about what post refers to what computer. If you open a new thread about your 5170 problem, I can tell you more about your particular POST card (your "PC Analyzer card"), and about the 02 01. When you do, include the revision of IBM BIOS you have.

After contacting one of businesses on the list by email and getting nothing back, I decided it would be an educational and possibly fun endeavor to learn to make my own ROMs. I've done a little research, and come across a "Willem" EPROM burner that I believe says it can do the 27256 chips the 5170 takes. It sells for about $30 on eBay, so it's certainly doable. Do I just buy that, a couple of EPROMs (intel D27256-1 I believe) and use the ROM images on the minuszerodegrees website? Thanks!

After contacting one of businesses on the list by email and getting nothing back, I decided it would be an educational and possibly fun endeavor to learn to make my own ROMs. I've done a little research, and come across a "Willem" EPROM burner that I believe says it can do the 27256 chips the 5170 takes. It sells for about $30 on eBay, so it's certainly doable. Do I just buy that, ...
    Be aware of what I have written about the Willem units at [here].
    And I learned recently that some are not supplied with software/documentation - you are expected to source that yourself.
    And you may receive a different model (a later one) to what you ordered.
    I only use my Willem for old chips such as the 8742 ([here]).

Per the second last point at [here], do a Google search of these forums. The subject of buying an EPROM programmer has been discussed many times.

... a couple of EPROMs (intel D27256-1 I believe) and use the ROM images on the minuszerodegrees website? Thanks!
    For the IBM 5170, you can use 27256 or 27C256, as long as they are rated at rated at 250 ns (or less [faster]). Note that what you acquire may need to be erased.

I have started to use W27E257-12 as a replacement. Cheaper, and I can get my modern EPROM programmer to erase them.

If your shopping for a eprom/eeprom programmer a good entry level to midrange unit is the Minipro TL866. Many people on here (myself included) use them. It can't program everything; but it certainly can do the majority of things.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Yeah I was doing some research, and it looks like the Minipro tl866ii is the best device for what I’m doing. It also has the benefit of being able to program those W27E257 chips modem7 was talking about, which do look like a better solution than the UV EPROMS.

Ok I’ve gone ahead and ordered a TL866II programmer and some W27E256 chips. I’ll report back when I have some more info!