Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which ROM is preferred for Kaypro 4/84?

CH, take a look at this thread https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthre...=110691&page=1 for pictures of the WD controller and the intermediate board in my Kaypro 10.

Robert

I had great success with the Adventure of Rom in my K10 restoration.

JA

You mean Advent Turbo ROM?

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

So I have 3 kaypro 4/84's and one 4/83. I want to add two frehd's to two of the 4/84's. Its my understanding that for full support and ease of use I can only use the kayplus rom. Is that correct?

I'm no expert on frehd or third-party Kaypro ROMs, but if the frehd emulates the WD1002-HDO controller, then you should be able to "convert" your 4/84 to a 10/10X using the IKaypro "Universal ROM" (81-47 - although that will restrict you to one floppy drive. I'm not sure if any of the ROMs support multiple floppy drives with the HDD - the hardware may not allow it: the "drive B:" select signal is also used as the HDD controller RESET signal.

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    I'm no expert on frehd or third-party Kaypro ROMs, but if the frehd emulates the WD1002-HDO controller, then you should be able to "convert" your 4/84 to a 10/10X using the IKaypro "Universal ROM" (81-47 - although that will restrict you to one floppy drive. I'm not sure if any of the ROMs support multiple floppy drives with the HDD - the hardware may not allow it: the "drive B:" select signal is also used as the HDD controller RESET signal.
    Well that definitely is a problem as I need both floppy drives. The A drive is a gotek HXC emulator and the B drive is a conventional floppy drive.

This is what the Microcode Consulting web site (http://www.microcodeconsulting.com/z80/kayplus.htm) has to say about the KayPlus ROM:

"Written in Z-80 assembler for use under QP/M, CP/M 2.x and compatibles, features of KayPLUS include:

real-time clock for use with operating systems that support it such as QP/M
    handles up to two hard drives of 64Mb each or combined total of 120Mb
    partition any hard drive into multiple CP/M or QP/M drives
    handles up to four floppy drives (may require additional hardware on earlier model Kaypro 10)
    handles both 5.25" and 3.5" drives in a single package, including full motor control
    intrinsic support for 13 different single-sided and double-sided 5.25" and 3.5" disk formats
    access to over 120 disk formats via P2DSKDF utility
    built-in logical-to-physical drive mapping
    intrinsic support for Kaypro, Advent, or Emerald hard disk subsystems
    increase Kaypro 10 disk utilization from 4476k to 5176k per drive
    auto-detection of quad (96-tpi double-sided) drives
    automatic boot of operating system when disk is present
    resident monitor with eight commands including dumb terminal
    automatic screen blanking after 15 minutes of screen & keyboard inactivity (Xerox 820-I only)
    optional screen display of time
    screen dump to printer with single keystroke
    special ABORT and PAUSE keys (user-definable)
    "
    I don't have any experience with the KayPlus ROM but I intend to examine it more closely in the future.

-CH-