Image Map Image Map

Thread: Will Any PCMCIA Floppy Work With Compaq Contura Aero 4/25

Default Will Any PCMCIA Floppy Work With Compaq Contura Aero 4/25

I have a Compaq Contura Aero 4/25 laptop and they don't come with a floppy disk drive. I'd like to install DOS on this laptop so I need to buy a PCMCIA floppy disk drive for it.

Do I have to get hold of the one made by Compaq or will something like a Sony FA-P1 PCMCIA floppy disk drive work as they're a lot cheaper to buy than the Compaq one?
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk

Does it boot at all to anything? If so, what?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

It powers on, POSTs and then as there is currently no hard disk drive it does not load an OS so all I need is a PCMCIA floppy disk drive as I have a spare hard disk drive I got the other day but it is not formatted so no OS on it to try and boot to, hence why I need a PCMCIA floppy drive but not sure if any old one will do or if I have to have the specific Compaq one.

Prepare that HD with DOS in another machine and then put it in the Compaq. If you put LapLink or something similar on it, too, you won't really need a floppy drive.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    you won't really need a floppy drive.
    I might not need one, but I'd like one in my collection! I dont want to waste money on a Sony FA-P1 PCMCIA drive that I am currently watching on eBay if it wont work with this laptop.