Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OK, now ebay has pissed me off

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    A credit card plus PayPal is not another layer of defense. If you are faced with a fraudulent seller, and you used PayPal, cancelling the credit card payment to PayPal is technically illegal: PayPal hasn't broken their agreement with you.
    Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Actually I've never really understood why eBay insisted on Paypal instead of credit cards like most online stores. Although since they started offering a direct credit card option, I've just kept on using Paypal.

However... buying some CR-RWs? I've got you all beat! For that I would just waltz down to Microcenter and pay using good old American cash.

(Side note: wake me up if they ever stop making CD/DVD-R media so I can go and stock up)
    Ebay once owned PayPal. which is why it used to push us that way. Not sure what the current state of play is with the agreement. Obviously venders no longer need to offer PayPal. Many don't like it because of the charges and the way it refunds customers. It works ok for me (in the UK) last year whe Monarch Airlines went bust we got a speedy refund from PayPal. I like PayPal mainly because it means I don't need a phone for the PIN I am invariably texted, and I don't need my card for the security code. I suppose this makes it less secure but Cards still hacked and cloned..

Our local supermarket usually still has CDR and DVD+/- but I can't remember when I last bought any. I last used them for putting licence files on my VAX VLC but there around 40 left in the pile that ws 50...

As for Amazon I too wish it would stop trying to get me to use Prime. I do use Amazon a little in Spain where we have a house. Its mainly for things I can't find locally in the various "Chinese" stores that abound in Spain...

https://ucronin.wordpress.com/2015/0...shop-in-spain/

or for stuff that I need to work, like hacksaw blades, the ones in the chinese shop cut modelling clay but nothing more substantial, the teeth just fall off....

For me the delivery is the critical part of the process is the delivery. we recently had a parcel delivered to the local post office in the UK. The hoops we had to go through to get it, some of which I damit are because we don't have any national ID card in the UK Driving licences are often OK but my wife doesn't drive and the parcel said "Mrs Wade". In Spain Amazon there recently started delivering to the local post office for later pick up, which works fine there as they accept my passport as ID which the UK post doesn't. Also got an SSD recently where they wanted some to be present to receive it. Total pain.

whatever happened to "the customer is always right"......
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Almost any store carries DVD/CDrws. Including Kmart, CVS and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Almost any store carries DVD/CDrws. Including Kmart, CVS and so on.
    I know this is off topic but I have seen my first K-mart in many years a couple days ago. It was in Waterbury Connecticut. Still had the brick Arch Facade I remember as a child. I couldnt believe its still there. I know Sears holding bought them and now they are bankrupt. Its a sad day when K-mart is gone.

But yeah optical media. I have thousands of blanks. The hospital I worked at gave me a machine that was used for burning patients records to disk. They gave it to me with about 1800 blank disk spindles. They will all most likely go bad before they can be used.

I still have some CDRW media that is perfectly fine from 1997, (smart and friendly) remember that brand?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    But yeah optical media. I have thousands of blanks. The hospital I worked at gave me a machine that was used for burning patients records to disk. They gave it to me with about 1800 blank disk spindles. They will all most likely go bad before they can be used.
    Give some of them away and earn some brownie points.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

I was taken aback by the new non-PayPal payment scheme; it looked like a restriction of choice for their benefit, not mine. I like to use PayPal because it limits the number of places that have my credit card info on file. If there's a problem I know where it came from.

Apparently eBay's investors aren't happy with the company, either: https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/22/el...-sell-stubhub/

-CH-

Interestingly a ton of sellers are furious about eBay moving away from PayPal because PayPal allows them to hide money that would otherwise interfere with their unemployment, welfare, or disability. I was surprised at the number of sellers complaining about this on the eBay forums as it is surely illegal to hide income in PayPal, but the complaining is out there right in the open.

If the money is going in and out of their bank account it is much more obvious and perilous for them and they could lose their benefits.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, it makes sense that some of their sellers are on some kind of income based assistance (Obamacare, welfare, etc.) and eBay would be a great way to make side cash.

Blog Entries

So how else do you cash in other then transferring funds to your bank account? And is this to say you can't pay for eBay sales with PayPal anymore? Can't receive payment either? I'm confused.

I remember there used to be an option to receive a check from PayPal. But chances are that has to be deposited in your account anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    So how else do you cash in other then transferring funds to your bank account? And is this to say you can't pay for eBay sales with PayPal anymore? Can't receive payment either? I'm confused.

I remember there used to be an option to receive a check from PayPal. But chances are that has to be deposited in your account anyway.
    You hold the money in PayPal and use your PayPal balance to buy goods from other vendors without ever putting money in the bank. Sell your junk on eBay then use the PayPal balance to pay for your next Walmart.com order. The money never need leave PayPal.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    You hold the money in PayPal and use your PayPal balance to buy goods from other vendors without ever putting money in the bank. [...] The money never need leave PayPal.
    Problem with that is that PayPal invests your money for their profit. Whereas if you keep a $0 PP balance at all times, then the money sits with you, perhaps in an interest-earning bank account.

So the question is, do you want PayPal earning interest from your money? My answer to that question for me is no.