Image Map Image Map

Thread: Where to find a list of HD TYPE Numbers for 5170 to 486 motherboards

Default Where to find a list of HD TYPE Numbers for 5170 to 486 motherboards

I keep running into this issue. I got a long dead cmos battery for some 5170-to 486 machine. After I get a new replaceable battery pack installed, I have to run Setup. There, I need the hard drive Type Number.
    Is there a long list somewhere with lots of drive models and the corresponding Type numbers? There is a small list at MinusZero, but very often the drive I have is not on that list. Putting 'Drive Type Number " google gets nothing useful. To generic.
    Or is there a simple calculation from Heads, Cylinders, SPT I could use?
    My current drive issue is a Maxtor LXT213A I need a type number for.
    Thanks
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Blog Entries

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-dr...HH-IDE-AT.html has drive information. If the system can't recognize the actual CHS values, try the translation values which should work with systems that are limited to less than 1024 cylinders.

https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/hd...hdtypes-3.html has a number of different tables. Type 47 or 48 were often left to be user defined in later BIOSes so plug in the heads, cylinders and sectors there. Much of these tables are for MFM controllers and might not match the IDE controller required for the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    My current drive issue is a Maxtor LXT213A I need a type number for.
    There is no international standard for AT-class hard drive type numbers. Your LXT213A could be a type 33 in one make/model of computer, and a type 25 in another.

The first 14 types though are usually common between computers.

And it is down to the motherboard BIOS. A BIOS upgrade for a particular computer may introduce additional types. It is even possible that some BIOS upgrades may have changed an existing type.

The 'Fixed Disk Parameters' section of the book at [here] has some type number lists for particular computers, but those would be for a particular BIOS revision.

On AT-class computers, SpeedStor software can help. By default, when you specify the make/model of drive to it, SpeedStor will look at the drive table in the BIOS, and (without you being aware) will set the drive type number in the CMOS SETUP to one that best matches the drive.

This is really good into. Very Very helpful!!
    Many thanks!!
    KL
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

I forgot that SpeedStor can also display the BIOS' hard drive table.
    To do that, start SpeedStor with the 'romlist' switch, i.e. C:\SSTOR65>sstor /romlist