Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Levco / SUperMac Prodigy SE accelerator board and utility software

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    You'll need to look at the part number on the memory chip to determine what it is and who made it.
    And therein lies the problem: I can't see any markings. It may be that the chips were installed face-to-face but I am loath to pry them apart to see if that's true. With my luck I will crack a case or break a lead and be SOL.

-CH-

The markings are going to be on the side of the module, you'll have to pry them apart or desolder one.

ZIP modules are pretty robust, you can carefully bend them to around 25 degrees pretty easily to see the markings.

Thanks for the tip. I just acquired an MC68851 to go on the board so when I have it out I will follow your advice and try to find out what's in the memory.

I count 32 modules on the board already and I know that there is 1 Mb on board. One way to make that work would be with 256K x 1 ZIPs (I think) so I'm guessing that's what I'll find, but I'll let you know.

It would be nice to find some schematics so I could figure out what signals the contacts on the end of the board represent. Someone in France who has one of these boards is working on that, he (or she?) says. Another question is what does the board's BIOS know how to do? This is ROM v. 3.1, I believe. There is a dump of the ROM on Macintosh Repository.

Thanks for your reply.

-CH-

I hope you're able to make it more functional. Crazy to ignore the SE's on-board memory then cripple it with only a meg installed.

My first impression is it's huge! I popped for this MicroMac accelerator BITD for a size comparison.
    MacSE_Accelerator.jpg

Looks like the MicroMac stuff is still available! $49 for mine, unless they haven't updated their website in ages: http://www.micromac.com/products/performer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in SoDak View Post
    Looks like the MicroMac stuff is still available! $49 for mine, unless they haven't updated their website in ages: http://www.micromac.com/products/performer.html
    The webpage says last updated in 1998.....
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Yeah, I didn't notice that till you mentioned it. Funny they're still online if they're defunct. Curious, I sent them an email and asked if they were still selling their line of accelerators. Their ordering webform is decidely ancient.
    -Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in SoDak View Post
    Yeah, I didn't notice that till you mentioned it. Funny they're still online if they're defunct. Curious, I sent them an email and asked if they were still selling their line of accelerators. Their ordering webform is decidely ancient.
    -Ed
    I tried ordering through the web site and got an error, 401 I think. Subsequently I called the number posted on the site and spoke to someone who said ordering was "possible". They said they were in the middle of another call and would call back. They haven't, yet...

-CH-