Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MacWorks Plus on Lisa 2

Default MacWorks Plus on Lisa 2

I have an Apple Lisa 2 running MacWorks Plus 1.0.8. When the system is starting, everything goes OK until the "Welcome to Macintosh" box pops up. About 1 second after that box comes up, another box pops up which says "Can't load a needed resource." and has a [Restart] button. Of course, if I restart, it just does it again...
    There has been only one exception. I attempted to show a friend of mine this behavior one day, and the Lisa booted up and immediately opened up a drawing program. I can't remember any more than that because I was so stunned that something different happened Well, I fiddled with it for a second, then exited the program, and the system restarted, and greeted me with the same error as before.
    Will I need to reload software, or is there a fix I can do without having the install disk(s), or is there a way to get more information?
    Thanks for your help
    Jim

I'm not all too familiar with MacWorks (I haven't really gotten a chance to clean up and play with my Lisa systems) but I am pretty sure that your best bet is to reload the OS. The missing resource may just be the tip of an iceberg.

The OS disks aren't too hard to come by if you aren't picky about them being original. I frequently see CDs for sale on eBay, for instance, that contain the entire Lisa and early Mac software library from Apple. Some are Apple originals, some are copies but I'm pretty sure that Apple has released the rights to most early versions (up to Mac OS 6 or so.)

I've also seen similar CDs with Lisa only software.

For any of these you'll need a Mac with a 3.5" floppy drive and a CD ROM drive to make disks for the Lisa.

I hope this helps.

Erik

Default You lucky dog!

You have a LISA 2 Amazing.I wish that I could find one.I have 2 of the first Macintoshes serial# 2336 and 5132 on the logic board.
    I downloaded the Mac Works and all the LISA software(As well as all the early macintosh operating software)while it was still available on the internet.Unfortunately Apple has stopped MOST web sites like Mac512,Applefritter and the mothership from having these old operating systems available for download,yet don't host these early operating systems themselves.What a shame.What harm does it do to Apple.
    All it does is prevent anyone who finds an antique from getting it operational.I had to repair a 400k Sony microdrive on one of my first Mac's because the lubricant had solidified.Actually I had to replace some power transistors on the Ananlo boards of both of these machines to get them working Again.Now I have 100's of titles for the Early Mac as well as 3 external 400k drives,2 Imagewriter printers,the Original Keyboard,Mouse,Audio tapes.I am only missing the Manual and the Original box.Not bad though.I have a lot of the later toaster macs as well
    such as 2 Mac 512's,3 Mac Pluses,3 Mac Se's,1 Mac SE30,1 Mac Classic and Classic 2.
    I have heard that the first model of the LISA recently sold on EBay for $10,000.However the LISA2 and Mac XL are far more practical.

Default Re: You lucky dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jarmon
    I have heard that the first model of the LISA recently sold on EBay for $10,000.However the LISA2 and Mac XL are far more practical.
    That was quite a machine and quite an auction. I don't think that's quite a realistic price for those, but a functional Lisa with twiggy drives, software, manuals and all original parts is certainly a valuable item.

I've heard some say that those Lisa's are rarer then Apple I's.

Erik

Hi Eric.You have to watch out about counterfeit Apple 1's because there were only around 200 sold.I saw a counterfeit Apple 1 on Ebay(Someone had merely put all the guts of a Apple 2 E in a wood case.Why?
    because the Apple 1 is the most desired collectable.They are valued up to $30,000.In fact it would be fairly easy to make a nice counterfeit because the circuit board,schematics and ROM listing are on the internet.
    An Operational LISA 1 is EXTREMELY hard to find.
    Someone was working on a Lisa Emulator but I don't think it's going to be completed.I do use a screenshot of the LISA as my desktops background(Its pretty cool!)

I've actually got 3 Apple Lisa's (2/10s, mostly) and none of them work perfectly. One doesn't work at all. . . yet.

I hope to find the time to restore at least one or two soon.

As for the counterfeit apple I, it would be pretty hard to pull off effectively. There are some chips that simply aren't available to make it anymore.

That and the fact that the boards are very recognizable to those who are familiar with them would make it hard. If I were ever to be in the market for one, I know several experts who would verify authenticity with nearly 100% certainty.

Of course, I don't think I am going to have 30K to spend on an old computer anytime soon. . .

Erik

Wow Eric you have 3 Apple LISA's (Mostly 2/10's)right on!.
    I sure hope that you get those working.
    Sun remarketing I think still has a MacXL for sale for $600 refurbished.
    Just to let you know.
    One problem is that it doesn't have the Profile hard drive that is necessary to make it operational.Glad that you know some experts to identify counterfeit stuff from the original.There are those trying to pawn off fakes.Good luck on fixing those antiques.The 400k sony drives had a problem that the lubricant would solidify(It happened to my original Mac).
    A simple fix is to use Alcohol to dissolve the mess and I used WD 40 to lubricate the parts(Don't spray it on the circuit board or read/write heads).

Hi Jon,

I know one of the differences with the Apple Lisa 2 from the Lisa 1 is the
    disk drives (3.5" on the Lisa 2 to the 5.25" on the Lisa 1), but would you
    (or anyone who knows there Apple computers) know the differences
    between the Lisa 2 are from the Original Mac? I would assume that the
    Lisa 2 has more memory would it?

Cheers.

Dear CP/M user- I have never owned a LISA 2,However It obviously had a different ROM than the Macintosh,as well as expansion slots,Logic Board,Cathode ray tube,memory,power supply etc.I know that The 400k Sony Microdrives in the first Original Macs(Jan 24 1984) are DIFFERENT than the ones in the Mac512 and Mac128(both introduced in Sept 1984).If someone tried to use the later 400k Sony drives in the Original Mac,they would find that they would not work right because of the earlier Macintosh ROM's( I know because I've tried it).

"Jon Jarmon"wrote in message:

> I have never owned a LISA 2,However It obviously had a different
    > ROM than the Macintosh,as well as expansion slots,Logic Board,
    > Cathode ray tube,memory,power supply etc.I know that The 400k
    > Sony Microdrives in the first Original Macs(Jan 24 1984) are
    > DIFFERENT than the ones in the Mac512 and Mac128(both introduced
    > in Sept 1984).If someone tried to use the later 400k Sony drives in
    > the Original Mac,they would find that they would not work right
    > because of the earlier Macintosh ROM's( I know because I've tried it).

Hi Jon,

That interesting to say the least. I'd imagine it would be quite frustrating
    for anyone to just buy a computer & find the Sony Microdrives don't
    work on it! :-(

It's interesting to see that the Apple Lisa 1 in my book has support for
    CP/M as well (I'm guessing that's CP/M-68 the 16 bit Operating System
    written for the 68xxx based machines!) :-)

Cheers.