Image Map Image Map

Thread: Calling Laptop LCD Experts - Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E LCD Screen Goes Dim In Corners

Default Calling Laptop LCD Experts - Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E LCD Screen Goes Dim In Corners

Hi All,

I have a problem with a Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E. This model has an Active Matrix Black and White VGA Display as shown in the pictures.

From Compaq: This model has a 9.5 (24.1 cm) diagonal COMPAQ UltraView -- a Compaq-exclusive display unique with the COMPAQ LTE Lite Family of notebook PCs. It is a brilliant active matrix black and white VGA display that offers superior performance advantages including fast response, wide viewing angle, and extremely sharp, clear images in true black and white. It can display 16 gray scales in 640 x 480 (VGA) resolution, and 64 gray scales in 320 x 200 resolution. With an optional external VGA monitor, the system also has simultaneous display capability.

When the machine first powers on, the screen is crisp and clear. Then, after about 2-3 minutes, the corners start looking like the images below. The corners gradually get dimmer and dimmer until they look so dim, there's no longer a visible image in the corners. It happens to all 4 corners.

My thoughts were, at first, the backlight, or inverter. But surely if it was the backlight the whole screen would be affected. And surely, if it was the inverter the whole screen would dim down.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.... Here are the images.

IMG_3183.jpg IMG_3184.jpg IMG_3187.jpg IMG_3185.jpg IMG_3186.jpg

LTE & Deskpro Enthusiast

Current Models: Compaq LTE Lite 4/25, LTE Lite 4/33, LTE Elite 4/75, LTE 5000, Deskpro 386s

If it is a florescent back lighting, it could be the tubes that are failing.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Just in the corners?

LTE & Deskpro Enthusiast

Current Models: Compaq LTE Lite 4/25, LTE Lite 4/33, LTE Elite 4/75, LTE 5000, Deskpro 386s

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Dwight
    Assuming it's the florescent backlight, what's the fix?

LTE & Deskpro Enthusiast

Yes, it is possible for failing florescents to be the issue, It could also be reduced current of the florescent supply. I wouldn't pick one over the other based on what we see.
    It could even be dust or coatings from tobacco smoke, blown in by the fan.
    Dwight

I've had it out and had it fully lit for the last 30 minutes. I also artificially lit up the screen using an LED strip in place of the tube thing. So on the up side it's not the backlight. On the down side, definitely the LCD/TFT part of the screen. So I/'m holding out hope that, since it's only happening when the machine's been on for a few minutes, someone will be able to give me a fix...

LTE & Deskpro Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by exs1s View Post
    So I/'m holding out hope that, since it's only happening when the machine's been on for a few minutes, someone will be able to give me a fix...
    If no answer provided, the use of electrically nonconducting freeze spray may be worth a shot.

Cheers for the tip. Ill order some.

Often there are contrast adjustments for the display. With temperature, the LCD may see a shift in the optimal adjustments. At least it isn't a hard line of failing. If it were, I'd say the seal was broken at the edge of the screen. To bad places like Weird Stuff are gone. I had a bad screen on a laptop a friend gave me. If you twisted it just right, Most of the display would work. I went down to Weird Stuff and found a better screen than the original to replace it with. Luckily the display controller could have the settings changed for the higher resolution.
    Dwight