Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5150 Supersoft Memory faulire - Which Chip ?

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    05040 then 04000
    Same as what I see, so we ignore that.

Also with the same failing bits.
    But what are those bits ? All I have to refer to is the photo in post #1 where the display is corrupted with things doubled up.

See pic in post #6
    bits 7 to 1 are X'd
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

See pic in post #6
    bits 7 to 1 are X'd
    From my perspective, that was when you populated banks 1/2/3, thus possibly introducing extra faulty bits (due to bad chips).
    But I will take it from your answer, that with the RAM in banks banks 1/2/3 removed, the diagnostics show faulty bits of 7 to 1.

That is a lot of bits, and interesting that bit 0 always shows as good.

Originally, I used to think that the 16K CRITICAL MEMORY REGION test did not rely on operational RAM refreshing (that the later RAM test did), but by experiment, I discovered that it did. At post #39 at [here] are some results of mine from simulating failure of RAM refresh, and seeing what the impact was on the 16K CRITICAL MEMORY REGION test. Then, I saw only one or two bits reported in error, and they varied.

However, maybe the count of bits depends on the particular motherboard.

Also very interesting. But is starting to sound more like the ram system, and not only the ram chips.
    But I am still willing pull 1 or more ram chips off the board. I'd like to have some idea of which one(s) to pull and see what happens with other ram chips
    What do you think?
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Also very interesting. But is starting to sound more like the ram system, and not only the ram chips.
    But I am still willing pull 1 or more ram chips off the board. I'd like to have some idea of which one(s) to pull and see what happens with other ram chips
    What do you think?
    I guess try replacing any one between 7 and 1. If that bit disappears from the diagnostic's list, you then assume that the other six RAM chips are bad as well. If not, more diagnosis required.

I do not know if you have had a chance yet to replace one of the indicated failing bits, but something interesting turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    That is a lot of bits, and interesting that bit 0 always shows as good.
    A recent post about the Supersoft ROM running on an IBM 5170 that has no RAM at all fitted, showed similar: bit 0 passing, and bits 1 though 7 failing.
    Photo at [here].

On my IBM 5160, I repeated the no-RAM exercise (using the 5150/5160 version of the Supersoft ROM), and got the same result: bit 0 passing, and bits 1 though 7 failing.
    Photo at [here].

But is starting to sound more like the ram system, and not only the ram chips.
    Yes it does look that way.