Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CBM 8050 disk drive not working

Quote Originally Posted by ZapdoZ View Post
    It says 0 0 0 again. The main drive LED flashes red for like 0.5 seconds, then it turns green again. The drive doesn´t make any sounds at all.
    hmm what happens when you run the program without any disk in the drives?

Frank IZ8DWF

Blog Entries

0 "" 0 0 is just zeroes coming from the bus. Make sure your cable is good, that the connectors are clean and making a good connection.

Sorry for being inactive so long. The cable is making a good connection (I checked with my multimeter). I cleaned the connectors and the drive now reacts when i run the program. It says "21 read error 39" on drive 0 and 1, with and without a disk

Sorry for being inactive so long. The cable is making a good connection (I checked with my multimeter). I cleaned the connectors and the drive now reacts when i run the program. It says "21 read error 39" on drive 0 and 1, with and without a disk
    Is the disk formatted with 8050/8250 format? In theory, no disk should give a 74 error and an unformatted (or differently formatted) disk should give a 21 error, but it might be an older DOS version, I'm not sure what would say a DOS 2.5 8050.
    Do you have a spare disk that you can try formatting?
    Frank IZ8DWF

I got 2D double sided double density 48 t.p.i soft sectored disks at hand, can i format them with the 8050 format? And if yes, how?

I got 2D double sided double density 48 t.p.i soft sectored disks at hand, can i format them with the 8050 format? And if yes, how?
    yes they would be fine for that drive.
    You can format them with:

open15,8,15,"n0:disk name,id"
    close15

with a disk inserted in drive 0, or change n0 to n1 for a disk inserted in drive 1; id can be any two characters.

It will work in both basic 2 and basic 4 (with basic 4 you have an additional way: header "disk name", d0, ixx
    Again, d0 if the disk is on drive 0, d1 if on drive 1. xx can be any two characters, it's the disk ID).

Frank IZ8DWF

I typed this in and the drive did something for about 30 seconds, then the front led turned red. How do i test the disk?

I typed this in and the drive did something for about 30 seconds, then the front led turned red. How do i test the disk?
    If the led turned red, it couldn't format the disk. Did you try on both drives?
    Try a few different disks also, after all these years, they might not be "as good as new" anymore.
    However, let's try this simple program to go somewhat faster in trying different disks/drives:

10 input "drive number (0/1)";d$
    20 open1,8,15
    30 print#1,"n";d$;"test,7x"
    40 input#1,e,e$,t,s
    50 print "format results:"
    60 print e;e$;t;s
    70 close1

insert a disk on one drive, then run the program and answer the question with the drive number you put the disk into.
    Report what errors you get with a few different disks on both drives.

Frank

It says "34 syntax error 0 0" everytime

It says "34 syntax error 0 0" everytime
    ops! That's what happens when I don't test programs first :/

change line 30 to:

30 print#1,"n";d$;":test,7x"

basicly there was a missing : before the word 'test' which is just the disk name being assigned to the disk.
    Now it should work

Frank