Image Map Image Map

Thread: 486 On-board Video Faster than a Diamond Speedstar Card?

Default 486 On-board Video Faster than a Diamond Speedstar Card?

I just ran all of Phil's benchmarks and the onboard video beat the Speedstar in every category. Is this correct? It is a Tandy 3100 Model 10 486sx upgraded with an Evergreen 5x86 133mhz upgrade chip.

Blog Entries

From this site: http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/utilities.html

Cirrus Logic 5426/5428 chip set updated video drivers version 1.43. For Tandy 3100, Sensation model II, MMPC-10, and MMPC-20 with Windows 3.1

Should be the same chip as a Diamond Speedstar Pro, no idea on the type of interface or VRAM used. Is your card ISA?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatik View Post
    I just ran all of Phil's benchmarks and the onboard video beat the Speedstar in every category. Is this correct? It is a Tandy 3100 Model 10 486sx upgraded with an Evergreen 5x86 133mhz upgrade chip.
    Well it could be that you have an 8-bit card on the ISA bus, sometimes when you install an 8-bit card in an 16-bit system it will reduce the performance of the 16-bit cards. Also possible that the onboard video is taking advantage of some BIOS features that the installed card is not (shadowing video ram, etc.)

Might also depend on which version of the Diamond Speedstar you have? You can see below the chipset varies from model to model. Based on the below, unless it is a SpeedStar 64 or SpeedStar PRO, your onboard video is equal to or better than what is on the card.

Diamond SpeedStar (Plus/24) Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA
    Diamond SpeedStar 24 Tseng Labs ET4000 ISA
    Diamond SpeedStar 24X WD90C31 ISA
    Diamond SpeedStar Pro Cirrus Logic CL-GD5426/5428 ISA/VLB
    Diamond SpeedStar 64 Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 ISA/PCI
    Diamond SpeedStar Pro SE Cirrus Logic CL-GD5430 VLB/PCI
    Diamond SpeedStar SuperVGA Tseng Labs ET4000 ISA

It is a CL5428 Chipset. Is it possible that it is an onboard VLB chipset? If so that would explain why it is faster, although its a dirty signal (jail bars on my lcd).

There's no such thing as "onboard VLB".
    VLB is a slot standard.
    It's common for 486 mobos to have a graphics chipset connected directly to the CPU front side bus - this way its speed is equivalent to the same chipset placed on a VLB card, and of course faster than ISA card.

That's what I assumed as well, although I believe it lists it as VLB compatible in the setup of some games.

Of course, chipsets with support for 486 bus also support VLB, as they are both the same - only the latter is via slot.
    And they are fast, especially on CPUs with 40 MHz FSB - in this case it's faster than the original PCI.

According to the Superscape benchmark the Speedster is 37.7 and the on board is 53.5, quite a difference. All other benchmarks were pretty close though.

You really should state what exactly products are you comparing.

Is it the original Diamond Speedstar with ET4000AX (ISA) vs. onboard CL-GD5428 ?
    In this case, superiority of the latter is obvious.

However, if it's Diamond Speedstar Pro with CL-GD5428 (VLB) vs. onboard CL-GD5428, then there shouldn't be much difference.

I believe it is a ET4000AX ISA vs. onboard CL-GD5428. I wasn't aware that there was a Speedstar VLB.