Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Apple II computer to buy?

Question What is the best Apple II computer to buy?

Hello everyone I was wondering what Apple II computer should I get to start out with as I am not really familiar with what to get. I heard that the Apple IIe is a good one to buy, and what cards should I buy if I were to get one?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

IIgs.

The IIGS is the best all-around performer, it's expandable, it also offers plug-in compatibility with Macintosh keyboards and serial devices, and it offers the largest software library.

The IIe has the advantage of being the most common model (giving you more examples to choose from), and the advantage of nostalgia if you're anywhere near my age. Choosing a vintage computer is a process that owes as much to emotion as to logic.

Oh, the chip tester has arrived !

The IIGS is the best for a novice who just wants to use and play software. But if you are tech savvy, I recommend and love the II plus, it has so many TTL logic IC's is super simple to troubleshoot.

6. Default

One that works!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Adverse View Post
    One that works!
    Hah! To be fair, my Apple IIe/II+ both worked immediately when I found them in less than optimal conditions. I can't say the same for many other retro systems I've had.

For the OP, I'd agree with everyone above. the IIgs would be the best one, if you're only going to own one, as it runs both Apple II and GS software. If you're only interested in an Apple II (for the nostalgia factor), then the IIe (or IIe platinum) would be the one to get. It runs everything and is still expandable (as opposed to something like the IIc) so you have the option to play with all the various cards out there.

All that said, you can't go wrong with any Apple II though, they each have something unique. Unlike the earlier poster though, i'd personally avoid the II or II+ line just because you need to do a bit of expansion to get them to a usable state for most software.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Laser 128 :P

Really, it depends entirely on what you want to do with it, what kinds of software or hardware you want to run with it, and how much space you have. If you don't care about hardware add ons, a IIc might suite you fine. If you want faster 16-bit stuff then IIGS, if you want early hardware hackable stuff then II+. IIe machines are a good middle ground.

I grew up with the Apple IIc. It was my first computer, and I still love it. If you want a user-friendly, ready-to-go 8-bit Apple II with most of what you'd want/need out of the box, it's a great choice.

However, the IIc isn't very expandable and as I got older that became a problem for me as I had wished to experience more of what was out there in terms of upgrades. So if you want to open yourself up to the full 8-bit experience, the IIe Enhanced is what I'd suggest. I'm fascinated by computer sound cards, so a Mockingboard comes recommended. There's not a huge amount of game support, but what is there is enjoyable to experience especially as most 8-bit games don't have ingame music otherwise.

The IIgs is a fascinating machine; I really dig mine. But if you don't care about the 16-bit side of things, I think you'd be better off with a IIc or IIe.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

10. Default

Aside from my earlier comment of one that works, I'd probably go with the IIe for extra bits on board. BUT so long as it arrives with an Ext80 Col Card or variant thereof. But also I like popping cards in and out of the box and seeing what they do and what can be done with them, which means at times I'm just shuffling cards around for the project in mind. You clearly can't do that on a IIc but if that's not you, then a IIc might be a better option