Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruud's diagnostic ROM for IBM PC, XT and compatibles

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Rather the assumption is I believe everyone in northern Europe speaks German.
    If you start speaking German in France, there are regions where people will turn around and ignore you completely. Yes, we are more than seventy years after the war but people still remember. Most Dutch will understand it, but speaking it? Hardly.
    The Dutch Commodore User Group is visited regularly by Germans. Except me and one other guy, the rest of the club speaks English with them.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    Having RAM also means I can use subroutines in a natural way and use the stack as temporary storage.
    I just had a look at a screenshot of Landmark ROM for the AT and noticed, see the comment at the right, that it stops testing the rest of board when there is no RAM present. It seems the programmers found out as well that it simplifies programming when RAM is around

www.baltissen.org

Hallo Ruud,

vielen Dank für das Programm! I have just tested in a an non-working XT-clone baord I had around.

Supersoft:
    https://imgur.com/a/6FeLWIk
    Your ROM:
    https://imgur.com/gmmMtAR

With your ROM, scrren is refreshing very fast (think its starting from the beginning again at the error) so its hard to read anything. Think I dont have to explain, but the information Supersoft gives me seems to be more accurate.

Keep up the good work, but I think it still needs some improvement to keep up with Supersoft.

Here is a screenshot of Ruud's Diagnostic ROM working on 5150 PC hardware. This is a stock motherboard with MDA display adapter. I doubled the file using a Hex Editor to 16K, and burnt it to a 27128 EPROM and installed it using a ROM adapter (The one I offer for the PC-Retro on the MTM website). I especially appreciate that you have included the source code for this program! Michael

rudd_1.jpg

ruud_2.jpg

Blog Entries

OK that will not do. I had fully expected the results to be in German

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    If you start speaking German in France, there are regions where people will turn around and ignore you completely. Yes, we are more than seventy years after the war but people still remember. Most Dutch will understand it, but speaking it? Hardly.
    The Dutch Commodore User Group is visited regularly by Germans. Except me and one other guy, the rest of the club speaks English with them.
    I recall a visit to Amsterdam where I shared breakfast with a very frustrated Danish tourist. He was complaining about not being understood by the Dutch when he spoke German or English. I asked him which language he used first.

I am looking forward to a ROM based diagnostic that is not misleading when it comes to the testing of conventional RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by predator99 View Post
    With your ROM, scrren is refreshing very fast (think its starting from the beginning again at the error)
    First: it it the very first public version and never tested in a real PC, just the PCem emulator. But I appreciate it very very much that you actually tested it in a real motherboard

I have to check your screenshots yet but either my tool stops when finding a critical error or it should complete the test ending with showing the dip switch settings. And when restarting the loop, it skips the initialisation of the screen. So anything else must be a bug IMHO.

but the information Supersoft gives me seems to be more accurate.
    My test gives IMHO the same info as Supersoft. But because of the strange behavior you probably miss a part. Suggestions for more info are always welcome!

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    I am looking forward to a ROM based diagnostic that is not misleading when it comes to the testing of conventional RAM.
    Please, explain a bit more? I check the very first 2 KB of RAM very thoroughly (I think). Having a reliable base where I can create a stack I use the same subroutine toy check the rest of the memory. So if you think my test is not good enough or you have other complaints, please tell me! I'm looking forward to ideas that can improve the tool. We will all benefit from it.

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by predator99 View Post
    With your ROM, scrren is refreshing very fast (think its starting from the beginning again at the error) so its hard to read anything.
    I was able to check your pictures at home and it does seem that the test for the first 2 KB of RAM fails. But in that case the program should have stopped with a very clear message: 'Critical error, diagnostics heave been stopped!'. It seems it doesn't so there is probably a bug. AFAIK I have tested it by branching to the "Failed" part instead of the "Passed" part but for one or another reason it goes wrong in your case. I'll try to test it in the weekend.

I dug up a clone the day before yesterday to use as test machine. But when I opened it I noticed that the EPROM was partly under the left drive bay So I have either to find another machine with a more suitable case or to remove the motherboard. We'll see. To be continued.....

www.baltissen.org