Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ruud's diagnostic ROM for IBM PC, XT and compatibles

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    - a cat: during the debug session I was called by my wife. When coming back I noticed one of the cats standing on my desk. I compiled my file (I just finished editing), put the EEPROM in the socket, started the PC and it stopped before reaching the keyboard test. ????? OK, just undo the last changes and try again. That's how I noticed that the cat had managed in some way to delete whole lines of the program. Untrusty creatures, just out to sabotage your work behind your back
    Many years ago, at work, an application test failure was discovered to be caused by a block of code that somehow went missing 'on my watch'. I claimed to my fellow workers that whilst I was getting a coffee, a fly must have landed on the Delete key. (I wasn't prepared to try the 'damn static electricity' excuse yet again.)

As mentioned as a note in the source code, I started to add beeping the the ROM. The idea was to output the debug code as binary code in the form of long and short beeps. Bad idea: not only were all those beeps driving me crazy but it delayed the whole diagnostic process. So I decided to output only a beep after outputting the first text to the screen so people know something must be seen now and when the CPU is halted due to a critical error.

But what about people people that don't have access to a CGA or MDA card and/or monitor and therefore rely on the beeps? Quite simple: I will add an assembly condition to the source code. Just switch it on to create a ROM that contains all those magnificent debug codes.

Any other ideas are welcome!
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Hallo allemaal,

Again, as promised, you can download the binary and the source at http://www.baltissen.org/zip/diagrom.zip. It should work as intended but I'm going through everything again to see if I can improve things. As mentioned earlier, I added sound but this BIN will beep only at the beginning.

But I'm not satisfied with the way things are executed or tested. The main one is that screen is initialized first and then the CPU is tested. By the time you reach this part I don't expect to find a faulty CPU any more. Or it must be one which has a flaw that affects an instruction that hasn't been used so far, for example JPO or JPE. The same for testing the ROM itself: it should be done before any other action IMHO. Otherwise you run the risk of finding an error that isn't caused by the subject-under-test but by a faulty CPU or ROM.

So what I will do is to start with testing the CPU and the ROM itself. If these two are found to be fine, I initialize the screen and continue with the rest. If one of these is found to be bad, the diagnostic will halt. But how will you know what is the cause of the error? The most simple way is to look at the debug code at the LPT port or a card that can read port 80h. If you cannot read the code, then only the CPU, ROM or something else can be bad. The CPU and ROM can be tested in a working system. If both work fine with the working system, "something else" is to blame. And with "something else" I mean glue-logic, buffers, gates and other things that cannot be tested as so.

Another idea was skipping the test of the CPU and ROM in the next runs. But then it occurred to me parts can become faulty when warming up. So I decided to test them also in the other rounds. But this means displaying messages and I have to find a way to skip these messages without to much overhead for the original test routines.

To be continued.....

www.baltissen.org

CPU test is very useful since there are alot of "fryed" CPUs (i.e. NEC V20) from China.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WplIZ02cI

Quote Originally Posted by alecv View Post
    CPU test is very useful since there are alot of "fryed" CPUs (i.e. NEC V20) from China.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WplIZ02cI
    I obtain quite a lot of parts for my projects and repairing computers by scrapping boards using a gas torch. De-soldering ICs in the normal take up much too much time (unless it is a rare or valuable IC). Does the process destroy ICs? I don't think so. OK, occasionally I run into a broken IC. But quite some of the boards I scrap were broken on forehand so the IC could already have been bad before I de-soldered it.

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    Another idea was skipping the test of the CPU and ROM in the next runs. But then it occurred to me parts can become faulty when warming up. So I decided to test them also in the other rounds. But this means displaying messages and I have to find a way to skip these messages without to much overhead for the original test routines.
    Skipping the messages during the first run proofed to be a bad idea. But the solution was quite simple in the end: I placed a copy of the two tests in front of the main loop.

www.baltissen.org

A frying pan and peanut oil can be used to strip boards. It seem it is one of the oils that holds up to the temperature required.
    Wear protective clothing and a face shield.
    Dwight

Hallo allemaal,

You can now download the binary and the source at http://www.baltissen.org/zip/diagrom.zip. I consider it as finished. I would appreciate it if somebody could test it in an IBM-PC. I used a trick to find out if the ROM sits in a PC or a XT. It works fine in a XT clone but I was not able to test it in a PC. The only difference is that the screen will show two blocks with dip switches instead of one for the XT.

I have decided not to work on a diagnostic ROM for the AT. I have only one AT, it is a lot of work, the Landmark version seems to work fine and I have several other, IMHO, more interesting projects. I'm sorry if you had high hopes.

Comments, wishes and bug reports regarding the PC/XT version are welcome of course.

Have fun!

www.baltissen.org

I'm trying to reapir XT clone motherboard but I have no CGA nor MDA cards. Will your test ROM work with (uninitialized) VGA ?

Quote Originally Posted by alecv View Post
    Will your test ROM work with (uninitialized) VGA ?
    Unfortunately not. The hardware of VGA cards can differ and that's why the ROM is on the card: it contains the routines to initialize the card and the various INT 10h routines. And I'm sure that these routines use subroutines and that means that a stack, and therefore RAM, is needed. And RAM is not available during the first tests because the various ICs that make the dynamic RAM not to loose their data are being tested and thus unavailable.

During writing the above the idea rose to check for VGA once the RAM can be used. You should at least see a start-up message of the VGA card. (attention: not all cards do this but IMHO most do) But it seems to me that you don't see anything. That means either you have such a message-less card or that the CPU, 8237, 8253 and/or glue-logic is broken.

The source has a flag to enable the beeping at every stage. Or build/buy a tester for the LPT port or ISA bus. The one for the ISA bus is worth to buy.

www.baltissen.org