Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lo-Tech XT-IDE XT ISA CF Adapter

Be careful with SanDisk cards, at some point they started breaking true IDE mode on some of their Ultra line. Apparently they felt it was competing with their SSD business.

Personally, if I'm going to use CF, I use industrial cards. Small ones are pretty cheap on eBay. They have a much higher write endurance than their consumer counterparts -- some consumer cards are as low as 3000 writes, whereas most industrial cards start at 1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Be careful with SanDisk cards, at some point they started breaking true IDE mode on some of their Ultra line. Apparently they felt it was competing with their SSD business.

Personally, if I'm going to use CF, I use industrial cards. Small ones are pretty cheap on eBay. They have a much higher write endurance than their consumer counterparts -- some consumer cards are as low as 3000 writes, whereas most industrial cards start at 1 million.
    I typically shoot for 512MB - 8GB range, so all older CF cards, explains why I never had any issues, I have no need for their large capacity, modern CF cards in an old machine
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Quote Originally Posted by RWallmow View Post
    I typically shoot for 512MB - 8GB range, so all older CF cards, explains why I never had any issues, I have no need for their large capacity, modern CF cards in an old machine
    SanDisk started doing this in the early 2000s, I have a 4 GB Extreme IV card on my desk at the moment that won't work in true IDE mode. I want to say it started with the Extreme IV and that earlier Extreme series cards are fine, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

What would be an example of an "industrial" card? I am getting ready to set up an XT-IDE in my 1000 SX and have yet to purchase a CF card.

My current stock is Viking, Smart Technologies, and SiliconDrive (now owned by WD). One common mistake is to assume that old Cisco cards are industrial spec, they may or may not be. "Industrial" typically refers to a higher temperature range and, more importantly, higher write endurance. The higher write endurance is usually accomplished by using SLC memory instead of MLC.

I've got a stack of HP "industrial" CF cards that don't work for crap in IDE adapters, I would steer clear of those. I think of like 20 of these cards I had only one worked at all in a IDE adapter, and then it was VERY slow, like 2KB/sec writes.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

The odd thing is that I've used many cards in my adaptors over the years developing them and have never once found a card that did not work properly, well except a cheap SD to CF adaptor, which just did nothing at all. In this set included PQI Industrial, loads of SanDisk cards, Canon (from c.2002 cameras), Kingston (the newer ones with the flowers on them), Hitachi, many unbranded, and various Microdrives as well.

Same here, I've used various brands over the years from well known to no name cheap ones and they all worked as intended, The problems i had were from using cheap crappy CF adapters or some other fault, I bought a bunch of industrial CF cards years ago and they work well, I do have 1 CF card that i can not boot from anymore, But that's my own fault, I had my mad professor head on and bonked it, Though it works fine for reading / writing etc.

I have been trying to use a pair of Transcend CF Flash 133x Cards. I can get DOS 5.0 to work great on both my SX and TX. After following some members advice I was able to get them to boot to win 2.11 but they would crash soon after the splash screen. I will be buying some different cards in the future, probably 128 - 512 range to try. For now I am happy with 5.0 on my SX and will graduate a little at a time. Thanks to all those who helped me.