Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lo-Tech XT-IDE XT ISA CF Adapter

`FDISK /MBR` often isn't enough if the card has had non-DOS filesystems on it. I personally always zap new media with `dd` under Linux, or Jame's WIPEDISK.

Quote Originally Posted by pearce_jj View Post
    DOS 6.22 is useful only to wipe out the MBR, which is your problem.

Either:

1. run FDISK /MBR from a DOS 6 floppy, or
    2. run my wipedisk utility if you have a way of getting onto the machine, or
    3. if you can connect the CompactFlash card to a linux box use dd as in:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4M count=1

(assuming the CF card is /dev/sdb).

Then revert to your DOS of choice, boot the box from floppy (press A when that message appears to boot from floppy), create a primary active partition with FDISK, reboot from floppy again, use format c: /s to make it bootable.

WipeDisk is here: https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/WipeDisk
    I just got DOS 5.0 working, going to try to upgrade to 6.22

Quote Originally Posted by the wizard View Post
    Here is a screen shot.
    Upgrade the BIOS: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    That link appears to be broken. I was able to get flash tools but no bios image so far. Does any one have a mouse driver for the 1000's running DOS 5.0 (if there is one)

site is up now

Quote Originally Posted by pearce_jj View Post
    site is up now
    Thanks I'll give it a shot, I now have the bios image.

Thanks I'll give it a shot, I now have the bios image.
    Which Image should I use for 6.0 or 6.22

Going to add my $0.02, I have seen this behavior with a few cheap no-name CF cards, drove me mad trying different DOS versions, different BIOS versions, I've found some cheap cards just will NOT take a boot sector. Will format, will take files, can even run files off them, but would refuse to boot. Ultimately bought quality Sandisk cards and it solved my issues.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Quote Originally Posted by RWallmow View Post
    Going to add my $0.02, I have seen this behavior with a few cheap no-name CF cards, drove me mad trying different DOS versions, different BIOS versions, I've found some cheap cards just will NOT take a boot sector. Will format, will take files, can even run files off them, but would refuse to boot. Ultimately bought quality Sandisk cards and it solved my issues.
    OH SNAP!!! Now I do remember reading something like this, and I'll bet that explains why I can't get Win 2.11 to boot or Is Win 2.11 not supported/(Wont work)??

OH SNAP!!! Now I do remember reading something like this, and I'll bet that explains why I can't get Win 2.11 to boot or Is Win 2.11 not supported/(Wont work)??
    I am not saying this is your issue for sure, just something to consider, I would still do your due-diligence and boot DOS 6 and do a FDISK /MBR to be sure.
    Windows 2 (or 3 for that matter) is not bootable itself, you need a bootable DOS installed first before it will work.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.