Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S and WindowsXP

Blog Entries

The 3210S drivers are supposed to be embedded in the XP CD. If all else fails, I would try setting up XP without the Adaptec controller and then attempt the install in at least a 1.5 GB bootable/primary partition.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I don't have any suitable IDE drives, so my next step is probably to see if I still have installation notes from Windows 2003. Else I'll try to hoist this thing back up on the shelf for another fifteen year hiatus, I guess.

Blog Entries

Yes, those are the ones used in the video, XP reports them as older than the inbuilt drivers, which neither work.

Blog Entries

Just before his passing, leakinoil posted one of those for sale. I paid him for it, but he died before he could ship it. Looking back, it's probably just as well that I didn't get it.

Blog Entries

I managed to install MSDOS 6.22 on the RAID array and it boots and works. But this is pretty useless to me.

Blog Entries

The lack of a hard drive might not be the cause of this crash. I found an IDE drive and installed it. With that drive and the IDE CD-ROM drive plugged in, but nothing else except RAM installed, I get the same crash.

What else can cause this?

MemTest86 is currently running.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    The lack of a hard drive might not be the cause of this crash. I found an IDE drive and installed it. With that drive and the IDE CD-ROM drive plugged in, but nothing else except RAM installed, I get the same crash.

What else can cause this?

MemTest86 is currently running.
    This error may be related to a SATA/ACHI conflict. No embedded support for SATA in XP. Check you BIOS settings and see what's up. I had a similar situation with XP on my A7 gamer project a while back (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...E-Deluxe/page8). W7 would install on a PATA drive but not on a SATA SSD.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I don't think this thing has SATA support, but I'll have to check when I get a chance. Memtest86 found a bad bit, and I swapped out SIMM #2. I left Memtest86 running on it.

I'm actually surprised it works with the SIMMs that are in it. #1 is 512M, #2 is now 1024M. #3 and #4 are empty. Originally, it was 512M, 512M, 1024M, 1024M. SIMM #4 went missing, and the system wouldn't boot with 512M, 512M, 1024M, empty.

Blog Entries

Memtest86 passed, WindowsXP still fails to install in any configuration. There's no SATA support in this machine.

It might still be due to the lack of an IDE boot drive. I have to see if I can make this drive boot at all; it might not be bootable.