Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S and WindowsXP

Question Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S and WindowsXP

So I have this Wintel server box. It yoosta run Windows 2003. It has an Adaptec 3210S with a 6-drive RAID array. Fifteen years ago I tried to install Solaris on it and the RAID array is now unformatted.

I'm trying (probably for nothing) to install WindowsXP. Apparently there are drivers for this card which aren't included with WindowsXP. The installation crashes without the drivers. How would I get these drivers to work? I'm hoping I don't have to install another hard drive just to install Windows.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

https://youtu.be/ctrCt_Q6XHQ

Blog Entries

Do you have a working floppy with it? There is a point (very early) where XP CD will ask for F6 to install RAID drivers. Press F6, insert diskette with files, load those and then install should continue. The driver download is only 35 kB so it should fit on a floppy.

Yes. I'll try that.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

If you don't have a floppy you might be able to build a custom XP installation CD as per:-

https://www.prime-expert.com/article...from-usb-only/

I think if I was re-installing XP I would want a a CD with the service packs pre-applied, but I don't think you can create the merged CD on Windows/10....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    If you don't have a floppy you might be able to build a custom XP installation CD as per:-

https://www.prime-expert.com/article...from-usb-only/

I think if I was re-installing XP I would want a a CD with the service packs pre-applied, but I don't think you can create the merged CD on Windows/10....
    XP SP2 slip-streamed was the 'standard' for installing XP back in the day. There may even be a slip-streamed SP3 but I never encountered it. Unless you possess above average programming skills, attempting to make the XP installer emulate a 3.5 floppy from a CD or USB would be quite a task for the average person. Much, much easier to source a 3.5 floppy drive than attempting to get creative with the established install routine IMHO.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Have you used nLite? When I was working at a school with 2000 workstations, we used it to help build our images with latest updates and drivers and what not... it was not as nice as MDT is today, but works pretty well.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    Have you used nLite? When I was working at a school with 2000 workstations, we used it to help build our images with latest updates and drivers and what not... it was not as nice as MDT is today, but works pretty well.
    I agree - it would work very well. But, all one really needs in this case is the particular driver on 3.5 floppy. Doesn't get much simpler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    XP SP2 slip-streamed was the 'standard' for installing XP back in the day. There may even be a slip-streamed SP3 but I never encountered it. Unless you possess above average programming skills, attempting to make the XP installer emulate a 3.5 floppy from a CD or USB would be quite a task for the average person. Much, much easier to source a 3.5 floppy drive than attempting to get creative with the established install routine IMHO.
    I thought you could add the drivers to the CD....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    I thought you could add the drivers to the CD....
    Yes, you can add anything you want to the CD but the XP install procedure asks for you to press F6 if you have a 3rd party driver to install, and then after the initial XP boot and a little farther into the install procedure, you will asked to install the subject driver from a FLOPPY (F2), not a CD or USB. You're dealing with XP here, not W10. Possibly, if you're the IT person and doing an unattended install, you might be able to coax it install the driver from another source, don't know never tried.

Unhappy No dice

It doesn't work with or without the additional driver.

Probably I need to partition and format the logical drive. I for some reason thought that this would be part of the WindowsXP installation process, but maybe not. I'm not sure how I'd partition the disk at this point without making too big a project of this.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

https://youtu.be/ctrCt_Q6XHQ