Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help identify some strange PET 2001 objects.

Default Help identify some strange PET 2001 objects.

Here are a few items among a box of bits I got with a PET many years ago and decided to sort out what they are.
    There looks what appears to be:

A 4 way user port/hub or sometrhing,
    A (AM) Centronics interface cable,
    A light pen,
    A digitiser tablet & probe,
    A pcb with various LED's on it??,
    A switchable ROM board,
    A 9 pin D socket to what looks like a photo sensor but the PET doesnt have a 9 pin D socket so no idea what this is unless its for a VIC or C64.
    A Pet user port type edge connector with a RCA plug on it (suspect its a sound output)
    There is lot of odd sockets and connectors and one that I can see has been cut off something and might have came from a " VOX Box" systhesisiser that was there as well. (see separarate thread)

Anyone know anything about any of these bits?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    I have that same bit of equipment, having shown it at a Vintage Computer Festival in the 2000's. It's a drawing tablet and stylus. I have the cassette program for it, too. As a drawing device, it's not very sensitive and not very precise.

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    April 27-28 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class
    June 8-9 Pacific Commodore Expo NW - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex

Hi Robert, Thanks for that information. I was wondering if there were any more of these around. Great to hear you have the software to go with it too. I have 3 huge boxes full of cassettes to go through get (dont know what I am going to do with all that sofware - Mainly educational) and if I dont find the sofware maybe we can find a way I can get a copy of it. Thanks..

Is anyone sending in any of these cassette programs to web archive services for preservation? We want to be sure we keep as much PET software preserved as possible.

Hi Verault, I am trying to get as much of the doccumentation and programs that came with this PET copied for the PET community. I am currently trying to asses what roms are installed in this machine and see if it is still working. Ive had this PET for many years beut so far not had time to doccument and try everything that came with it. Ther are 3 large cardboard boxes full of software on cassette. There are no disks except what I have done myself. You are welcome to anything I have of course. I have been uploading a lot of the manuals I have here for it and there are lots of books as well which I will check to see if already online and if not scan & upload them for the community as well. I am dealing with the PET while I am waiting to finish sorting out my Apricot PC that one of the forum members "Modem7" is helping me get sorted but will see it through to the end so everything I have for the PET is backed up reatined for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Here are a few items among a box of bits I got with a PET many years ago and decided to sort out what they are.
    There looks what appears to be:

A 4 way user port/hub or sometrhing,
    A (AM) Centronics interface cable,
    A light pen,
    A pcb with various LED's on it??,
    A switchable ROM board,
    A 9 pin D socket to what looks like a photo sensor but the PET doesnt have a 9 pin D socket so no idea what this is unless its for a VIC or C64.
    A Pet user port type edge connector with a RCA plug on it (suspect its a sound output)
    There is lot of odd sockets and connectors and one that I can see has been cut off something and might have came from a " VOX Box" systhesisiser that was there as well. (see separarate thread)

Anyone know anything about any of these bits?
    Hi Jon,

The pcb with LEDís reminds me of similar setups I played with at college, where sending various values down the user port resulted in different lighting sequences. Mundane by todayís standards but fun in the day.....

To me the light pen and tablet are the most interesting as well as the multi UserPort box.

Some articles on the tablet

http://archive.6502.org/publications...1980_01_02.pdf

https://stacks.stanford.edu/file/dru...76_31_0000.pdf

Andy
    Last edited by AndyG; February 15th, 2019 at 12:49 PM.

Thank you ever so much for that info Andy, I will give it a try sometime to see if it actually works.

cheers
    Jon