Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Intrest in new ISA cards?

Too bad you can't just use a DOM. They're relatively inexpensive, reliable and easy to configure. But you need an IDE header.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    $175 seemed high to me. My SCSI2SD was a little over $70 after shipping. Beyond that, it wasn't really clear on if one could just swap out a RLL drive in something like an Atari ST Megafile and it would just work (with basic settings). But yeah, at those prices ($175 or $250 for the DREM), I'd rather just dump the drive enclosure completely and go for one of the $125 or so CF adapters. Just would like to see something competitive in the price range of the SCSI2SD that was as refined as well. Something that would let me use everything as it originally worked.
    Well, it might be possible to cut the price some. Remember that you need level-shifting (3.3V to 5V) for any modern MCU, as well as RS422 differential driver/receivers. I suspect that you could do it with an add-on board to a RPi (or OPi) Zero. There's a guy who published artwork for doing a job similar to a Kyroflux using a RPi. Of course, if there were a real market for one, the Chinese would turn them out for $25 shipped.

10 years ago, the notion of a full-featured board running Linux with a 1+GHz CPU for about $10 or less would seem to be fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    286/AT memory card -- whilst we have EMS boards and conventional memory boards, finding working RampageAT and its ilk is getting more and more difficult. Particularly given how will DIP RAM chips are aging.
    Indeed, I could use a few of such cards, the best would be probably a clone of Orchid Ramquest 8/16 - up to 32MB of RAM, extended or expanded, with support for both 8- and 16-bit ISA.

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    I think you mean DVI. DisplayPort is a constant clock fully packetized protocol. Very different but open.

DVI and HDMI share the same protocol lineage.
    Nope, I mean DisplayPort. Displayport has adapter cables to go to pretty much everything, from VGA to HDMI. HDMI does in fact require a license to use their connector, and their protocol. It lists it on their website. Also, DisplayPort uses a much more modern and compact connector than DVI, and it's easier to find DisplayPort cables now. It's becoming the standard for most video cards and monitors at this point. HDMI is actually on its way out, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    There's a guy who published artwork for doing a job similar to a Kyroflux using a RPi. Of course, if there were a real market for one, the Chinese would turn them out for $25 shipped.

10 years ago, the notion of a full-LM.
    Yeah, if they can emulate a 1541 with a raspberry pi, I'd think just about any drive should be possible.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by dkarguth View Post
    HDMI is actually on its way out, thankfully.
    I'm conflicted on this. Displayport is definitely better but HDMI is the standard for everything.. now with more video cards possibly switching to displayport we're going back to multiple standard for different types of equipment. Home entertainment isn't going to move to displayport, so we'll be in that conflicting world of multiple standards and adapters.

I wish displayport had gone the route of usb-c (and previously lighting port) and made their port reversible.. I bet that alone would have improved consumer uptake since as it is, consumers don't care that they have to pay a couple extra pennies for HDMI, but if there was a noticeable immediate benefit then maybe.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Almost everything discussed here either already done, or can be easily done at http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...153#post543153

Unfortunately, I’m crazy busy now, don’t even have a time for the update on the development

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Sergey's ISA Floppy Disk and Serial Controller
    Also I would argue they aren't that hard to find. Just about any 16-bit Multi-I/O card will have an HD floppy controller and they are regularly on ebay for about $20.
    I'd been asked by several people about doing a kit run of Sergey's FDC board, and had thought myself about doing it with the addition of at least a 34-pin edge connector added on, if not a 37-pin D-SUB. As long as the correct filters available on the board, it'll also do single-density mode, important for those of us with pre-PC machines. However, some time ago, Sergey had contacted me regarding the details of the XT-IDE rev 3 or rev 4 sales (I forget how long ago it was), stating that he was thinking about doing larger runs of some of his boards and offering kits, too. I haven't heard back from him about that, but I didn't want to start running a derivative of his FDC board if he was going to do so himself.

Anyone have current contact info for him?

The 37 pin D sub would the good. I would be interested.

Which nobody seems to sell even just bare boards for, and seems a bit too complicated for its own good... and again why not just put the two to three DIN on the back instead of a breakout cable?

Last thing I need is another serial port, but good to know the project exists. Shame again, nobody seems to make the boards or provide kits.

Also I would argue they aren't that hard to find. Just about any 16-bit Multi-I/O card will have an HD floppy controller and they are regularly on ebay for about $20.
    Which does jack good in a 8 bit slot particularly when most 16 bit cards don't provide the ROM -- they rely on the AT class ROM to provide that functionality. The few 8 bit controllers available out there from old stock are going for $150 a pop or more for something that should probably be a $35 kit, $70 or less assembled.

A "proper" PS/2 interface requires IRQ 12, but PS/2 to serial converters exist.
    So give it a different IRQ and alter the drivers. That shouldn't be rocket science.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM