Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a fair price for 2 Mac Classics?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The Classic series can't be compared with the eMac because the eMac was not a compromised recycled design designed to cripple performance of the machine. The eMac was a respectable machine from release and received several upgrades through its relatively short life, I have a 1.42 GHz model and it offers stellar performance.

The Classic on the other hand was almost a decade old design, no new software was designed to run on it and you were basically stuck in the past with it. The Classic II was no better.
    Both were low-cost machines mainly intended for the educational market. The Classic was technically based on four year old hardware (Mac Plus), which wasn't unheard of in the computer market in those days (look at how long XT clones stuck around after the AT debuted). The eMac series was generally based on iBook hardware, AFAIK, which had its own limitations compared to PowerBook and desktop hardware. The Mac Mini G4 was the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The Classic II was a reworked Macintosh LC, not an SE/30. Apple used the LC motherboard and ASICs for several compromised designs like the Performa 200 and LC II, which just replaced the 68020 with a 68030 CPU.
    Hence "basically"; the Classic II did replace the SE/30 in the lineup, regardless of what hardware it was based on. The LC series weren't performance machines, but they weren't intended to be. The computer labs at the middle school I attended was stocked with LC IIs, and they did just fine for word processing, drawing programs, and educational games. Later on, Power Macs started appearing at the teacher station in some of the computer labs, but the student machines remained LC IIs at least until I graduated to high school.
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    ....Hence "basically"; the Classic II did replace the SE/30 in the lineup, regardless of what hardware it was based on. The LC series weren't performance machines, but they weren't intended to be. The computer labs at the middle school I attended was stocked with LC IIs, and they did just fine for word processing, drawing programs, and educational games. Later on, Power Macs started appearing at the teacher station in some of the computer labs, but the student machines remained LC IIs at least until I graduated to high school.
    I have a Classic II. Since I've replaced the caps, I find it's my "goto" machine when I want to extract files from dsdd Mac floppies or just play around with Mac Stuff. Yes, it's slower than my SE/30, but I like the more rounded look. Also, the way I've stored my stuff, it's more convenient to get at. In short, it's useful and I enjoy using it. Speed or memory is not a constraint for what I tend to use it for.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Blog Entries

I ditched my Classic II but have a few SE and SE/30's around. I like the ability to stick Ethernet into my compact macs PDS slot. The bad thing about the classic is that some of the capacitors are close together making rework a slightly more pain to do.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems