Image Map Image Map

Thread: PCI Sound Blaster

Default PCI Sound Blaster

I have a rack mounted 1 GHz system that was part of an old video system back in the day. But now what I am using it for is to run some applications in Windows XP that decode weather satellite images via a Sound Blaster PCI card with the internal sound card on the mother board disabled. The sound Blaster works ok but the issue is that whenever I start windows I have to go back to the set up for the audio inputs and click on “line IN” again although its already selected. After deselecting and then re selecting the line input again it works well, just not from a fresh start in windows.
    Any Ideas?

As a meteorologist you've piqued my interest.

I use weather data from several sources online but nothing that requires decoding.

What applications do you use and what sort of satellite images are they?
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

APT weather satellites, NOAA-17,18 and 19 They have a L band downlink along with a legacy mode VHF downlink around 137.1 to 137.925 MHz that can be picked up with a FM receiver and decoded with your sound card useing software like WXSAT that decodes the fax transmitted by the satellites. Ok, I know you can download from the internet and all that sort of stuff but sometimes it’s fun to be able to do this direct from the satellite.
    Had set a system up like this back in the nineties with an old 486 system and was looking around the shop and saw I have a circular polarized VHF antenna, wide band telemetry receiver and a 1 GHz rackmount system not doing anything so why not. The only issue now is why the sound blaster won’t work on boot up and has to be poked to work.

While that's interesting in general it's not at all practical for me. I can remember working with weather faxes 40 - 45 years ago when that's all we had. In fact, I still have a stack of some of the more interesting ones put away for archival purposes. But I wouldn't want to go back to that primitive kind of display mapping. It's just too imprecise, slow and has such limited accuracy that I couldn't possibly get anything done with it today. For me, today's digital weather products are the only way to go.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

You could probably automate toggling "line in" via an autoit script, autoit can send keyboard keystrokes and mouse movements to automate things. Have it run a "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,4" that should bring up the audio hardware dialog, then send the necessary keyboard stokes to set the "recording" tab then arrow down the inputs and select the right one.

It's a kludgy fix for sure, but sometimes it takes a kludge
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.