Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking guidance on Commodore 8050 troubleshooting

Blog Entries

I have done this, many times. Sure you could probably measure the variation in light from an incandescent bulb, but at least I can't see it well enough to use it as a stroboscope. In fact, when doing this with a fluorescent bulb, if an incandecscent light source is too close, it drowns out the effect.
    I could demonstrate this right now except there's too much sunlight in the room with my turntables at the moment.

Maybe it works at 50Hz, but not 60Hz. Not for me or anyone else I've seen do this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I have done this, many times. Sure you could probably measure the variation in light from an incandescent bulb, but at least I can't see it well enough to use it as a stroboscope. In fact, when doing this with a fluorescent bulb, if an incandecscent light source is too close, it drowns out the effect.
    I could demonstrate this right now except there's too much sunlight in the room with my turntables at the moment.

Maybe it works at 50Hz, but not 60Hz. Not for me or anyone else I've seen do this anyway.
    Indeed the brightness ratio between the peaks is reduced with an incandescent bulb, but for me it worked when I had nothing else (and it still works). I don't know how the brightness goes on a 60 Hz powered incandescent bulb, I would need to make or buy a power inverter to test it with my fast photodiode setup. So, maybe not really soon...
    Frank

Incandescent works for me, although obviously not nearly as well as a line-frequency fluorescent or even a neon bulb.