Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changing computer recycling laws

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Yeah my daughter is 14. Her friends range up to 16 yrs old. none have any ambition to have a drivers license. Why would they? They never leave the house really; not to venture outdoors anyway. I think they just want to remain children and have thier parents drive them around... (my daughter has a rude awakening if she assumes thats what I will do)

I know im beating a dead horse but I don't get young people and the trivial nonsense they are into.
    Yeah, same here with my son. He has no interest in driving and that rude awakening is out since his mom and her parents live close and will take him anywhere he needs to go. To be honest, I'm not sure how much I trust kids driving anyway, too much distraction. I even get distracted myself but at least I have 30 years experience under my belt, I'm not sure I'd trust any his driving now. The most distraction we had was the radio or fast food.

My parents never took me anywhere I wanted to go and also never got me a vehicle, I had to find my own job and get a vehicle from that money as soon as i could (the downside for my parents on that approach is that I only liked motorcycles and muscle/sports cars, and the cars weren't an option initially but the motorcycle was). Luckily since my son doesn't care about cars at all, I might just get him a crappy pickup truck because then I can borrow it

As for kids into trivial nonsense, maybe, but we had a lot of our own issues and silly interests as well. I think the Lorde "royals" song mostly accurately present the diferences in our generations, which as a parent are annoying habits since we want our kids to have good futures, but on the other hand they might end up being better humans (even if they're homeless or living in our basements.... Haha)
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Yeah, same here with my son. He has no interest in driving and that rude awakening is out since his mom and her parents live close and will take him anywhere he needs to go. To be honest, I'm not sure how much I trust kids driving anyway, too much distraction. I even get distracted myself but at least I have 30 years experience under my belt, I'm not sure I'd trust any his driving now. The most distraction we had was the radio or fast food.

My parents never took me anywhere I wanted to go and also never got me a vehicle, I had to find my own job and get a vehicle from that money as soon as i could (the downside for my parents on that approach is that I only liked motorcycles and muscle/sports cars, and the cars weren't an option initially but the motorcycle was). Luckily since my son doesn't care about cars at all, I might just get him a crappy pickup truck because then I can borrow it

As for kids into trivial nonsense, maybe, but we had a lot of our own issues and silly interests as well. I think the Lorde "royals" song mostly accurately present the diferences in our generations, which as a parent are annoying habits since we want our kids to have good futures, but on the other hand they might end up being better humans (even if they're homeless or living in our basements.... Haha)
    I know what you mean, my father was a pretty bad dude. Wont go into all the gory details but lets just say when I was 15/16 and had a job at a grocery store; he would take half my paycheck just because he drove me the 25 minutes to and from my job.

And forget that nonsense about kids living in thier parents basement into thier 30's.... I tell my kids all the time.. "you turn 18 you are out!,.,, your in college or have a job and your own apt...." and I mean it... Im pushing them out of the nest so they can jumpstart thier own lives.... it will never happen if they stay home.
    Getting a car for my own freedom was the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Alot of the world still uses dialup..Due to remote area, prohibitive price, and no alternative (within budget).

Which is it for you Rmay?
    Abundant free WiFi outside, $5 a month cost, poor high speed options, and general apathy toward higher bandwidth hogging services (aka the stuff I do online requires minimal bandwidth)

Don't know why the thread topic changed this much. But I'm not going to tell people what to do. I thought we were talking about opinions changing recycling laws.. but do as you wish.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm a bit conflicted on this one. Where I live, the recycling people take just about anything electronic and employ the developmentally disabled, using both state and Federal funds.

So, they're not just scrappers; they do some good for the less-advantaged.

If you want to get something, I think the best approach is to look and advertise your wants.
    I have to agree with this, wile its sad to see old PC's scraped, sometimes its for the best.
    That being said I have gotten alot of PCs from recycling places. My laptop came from a air force base in California and I picked it up from a recycling place out there. It was missing the hdd bay, battery and sat card. But I was able to get a batter and hdd for it. The sat card slot is still empty. Some places still let you buy stuff. And may still sell off stuff online.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Blog Entries

Well, when you post a thread on this forum it's kind of like walking into a pizza parlor and telling the guy behind the counter "gimme a pizza". The result being you just never know what you're going to get.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

True, and this is the off-topic forum.

I try to recycle only dead parts or the generally unwanted, like a Pentium 4. Everything else I give away or resell.

Scrapping systems for gold is wrong in my book, unless they are broken. Selling unwanted vintage systems online fetches much more money than gold recovery can. People at those recycling centers are throwing away so much money. (the computers)

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I try to recycle only dead parts or the generally unwanted, like a Pentium 4. Everything else I give away or resell.

Scrapping systems for gold is wrong in my book, unless they are broken. Selling unwanted vintage systems online fetches much more money than gold recovery can. People at those recycling centers are throwing away so much money. (the computers)
    Maybe, but as Mr. Horse said earlier, sometimes it's for the best. I'm definitely against destroying old rare systems, but a bunch of 386's and 486's, i'm not sure I care. There are so many of these systems being hoarded just for the sake of hoarding them, that it might be the best to have them environmentally recycled when we have the option rather than sitting in some guys basement teetering over, only to be 'tossed' when the pc hoarder dies. If something makes it to a proper recycling center, i'd much rather that it gets taken care of there properly when we have the chance. If we start pulling everything out of recycling centers then they aren't doing their jobs. I kinda picture that guy who's doing spring cleaning and he keeps reaching in the box 'Oh, not my lucky boxers! oh, those were the shoes I wore when I won the big game, etc'

If you're going to save things, save them before they make it to the recycling center.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

I don't get the issue with hoarders, most of what was saved pre ebay was because of them. All the old 70's era systems were completely useless junk to anybody in the 90's but a few people saved them so somebody now can experience them. I don't have a single switch operated blinky light computer in my collection because I just don't care about them but others do and I don't have a problem with that.

Anything that gets hoarded is something that has not been recycled and even if it all gets recycled at a later date there is a good possibility that somebody will harvest parts or whole systems that will end up in somebodies collection. Granted some people don't house their hoards very well and eventually it will all just be rust.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems