Image Map Image Map
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Changing computer recycling laws

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Pentium 3 have spying build into them...
    Linux spy's on you too, You do know the NSA made the SElinux kernel module?

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    That's different. What matters is that modern Windows sends personal data to Microsoft. As for 2k and XP, you're ok as long as nobody hacks into your PC and reads those log files.
    These logs are in the registry, they can be yanked off the PC rather quickly and without the user knowing, even remotely Given how insecure 2k and XP even a script kidy can pull it off with ease. I do it all the time at work. When we have reason to believe a user is braking policy I remotely pull the keys off the PC without leaving a trace on the local system.
    Your far better off locking down and removing the spying on a modern OS and using a VIA or IBM PPC system if your that worried. or better yet not putting you PC online.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; March 29th, 2019 at 05:30 AM.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Pentium 3 have spying build into them...

These logs are in the registry, they can be yanked off the PC rather quickly and without the user knowing, even remotely Given how insecure 2k and XP even a script kidy can pull it off with ease. I do it all the time at work. When we have reason to believe a user is braking policy I remotely pull the keys off the PC without leaving a trace on the local system.
    Your far better off locking down and removing the spying on a modern OS and using a VIA or IBM PPC system if your that worried. or better yet not putting you PC online.
    I'm glad I have access to this new information. Please tell me more. Is there anything else i'm not aware of?

As for trying to remove the spying on a modern OS, it's pretty much futile cause the spying can be re-enabled with the system updates like in Windows 10. The best strategy is to avoid any bad operating systems, software, and hardware. Don't try to fix it. Find something else.
    Last edited by computerdude92; March 29th, 2019 at 05:50 AM.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

As for trying to remove the spying on a modern OS, it's pretty much futile cause the spying can be re-enabled with the system updates like in Windows 10. The best strategy is to avoid any bad operating systems, software, and hardware. Don't try to fix it. Find something else.
    If you say so. I have yet to see this happen on any one of the hundreds of computers I manage. The difference is that I do things what we call "the right way".
    Saying your better off with older unsecure hardware/software to prevent spying is like saying a bubble top x frame bel air is a safer car because its made of thicker steel then newer cars. Your just trading off who's spying on you. In this case use of older tech putting the spying in the hands of criminals the don't fallow the law and don't care about your safety or privacy. At lest with M$ and most modern governments they aren't using the info gather to harm you.

Better yet I have to ask, what are you doing that has you so worried about spying? It makes me wonder if your up to something you should not be.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; March 29th, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Well for me, I'm a dummy when it comes to more advanced software use. I don't know how to disable the spying myself and keep it from spying. Too complicated. So simply avoiding the most modern computers works best for me. I'm just a computer system builder and basic software user.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I don't get the issue with hoarders, most of what was saved pre ebay was because of them. All the old 70's era systems were completely useless junk to anybody in the 90's but a few people saved them so somebody now can experience them. I don't have a single switch operated blinky light computer in my collection because I just don't care about them but others do and I don't have a problem with that.

Anything that gets hoarded is something that has not been recycled and even if it all gets recycled at a later date there is a good possibility that somebody will harvest parts or whole systems that will end up in somebodies collection. Granted some people don't house their hoards very well and eventually it will all just be rust.
    Well I go semi-regularly to a eWaste dump site. As of the last 12 months most is utter rubbish.
    Many systems are damaged, badly dismantled or like.

Mind you I have found a few interesting later and earlier machines.

Recently I bought for $5 each, 2 later desktop pcs simply to gut and use one case to transplant all of Maria's Desktop system into.
    Her Desktop box's inbuilt front USB and audio port were playing up. One case was perfect.
    I gutted the second one, and the steel cases when back to same eWaste tip for free.

I have have about 9 desktop tower type systems tucked at the end of one of my rack, Why ? because there was some blank space, that not easily accessible, so they are just there for the future. I did get each out and powered each up about 4 months ago, when I moved a cabinet in that corner, and each ran fine. I toyed with connecting power to then permantely and every 6 months liven them up.
    Decided against that, due to the potential fire risk, as they are way to boxed in.

It's really sad to see so many vintage computers at the dump and recycling centers and you're not allowed to take them home. It's against the law. They won't even let you remove the hard drive in front of them. It makes no sense. There is no way a person's data can be stolen if there's no hard drive in the computer. How about starting an online petition to save these vintage computers before they're all gone?
    There's a recycling center nearby that takes old stuff to dispose of properly, and refurbish any they can. Their rule of thumb is anything that's certified for Win7 or newer gets refurbed. They sell refurbished systems (laptops & desktops) with Windows 10 & Office. Prices range from $150-$350. Anyone who is a student, over 55, or on any public assistance is qualified to buy one of these machines.

They have some older stuff there. Last I heard they even had a working IBM AS/400 with software & documentation. They also have huge bins of old cards & such; network cards, sound cards, video cards, etc. ISA as well as PCI. I scored a NIB SIIG ISA IDE controller + 3.5" floppy drive; $10 for both. Also picked up a pentium 200mmx system for $5, but it doesn't post. My work and health issues have kept me too tired to debug it. The power supply makes a god-awful rattle though.

Point being that I can walk in there and pay dirt cheap prices for what's sitting around extra. They only exception seems to be hard drives. Apparently they degauss those as soon as they come in. Privacy policy.

Default Interesting Outlier...

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I do agree with this, is definitely not just a millennial thing, I'm told by people of all ages (older and younger) that this stuff should just be tossed out. While younger people would be more inclined to not have nostalgia for stuff before their times, they have their own nostalgia for their things. I see them wanting to save stuff that I don't have interest in (Pokemon, for instance). But yeah, this is not specific to a generation.
    I'm a big fan of RCA's SelectaVision VideoDisc system; technically obsolete by the time they made it to market competing with VHS tapes, but nevertheless I was/am impressed by how much information they packed onto vinyl and their 400 series random access autoloading players were equally impressive to me. There's a group on Facebook where there are a dozen or so young people (early 20's) who have taken up this technology that wasn't even around...
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Default AOL 2.5 to 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    Hey! I'm a millennial! And I love old computers, so much so in fact that I wish we could get rid of the cloud and go back to the early 1990s and live that way.
    That's what I miss, the walled garden, curated experience of America Online, I really do miss that...
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Linux is open-source. How would one be able to hide that? Windows, I could believe; after all, MS trotted out COFEE.