Image Map Image Map

Thread: EZ Drive Setup on a 286

Default EZ Drive Setup on a 286

I'm trying to setup the EZ drive bios on a 286 to use a cf hdd. Ez drive won't boot from the floppy drive even though I made the boot disk on that computer. It boots fine in my other computers. If I attempt to run EZ.exe from a dos prompt it freezes when attempting to analyze my hardware. Also the WD main screen isn't shown during startup, which I thought was strange as well. There is no auto setup for the hdd in the 286's on-board bios. I want to be able to use the on-board bios with a cf hdd because I can enable ems memory right from the settings in bios.

Many ez drive utilities use 32 bit instructions and require a 386, would be a interesting project for someone to rebuild ez-drive functionality into a generic non branded 16 bit booted.

Probably won’t happen.

Makes sense. Alternative?

Just use the XT IDE BIOS booted off either a Network controller (which has a bootable ROM socket of course) or any other ISA device which has the same.

A little while back I found an ISA LBA Addon card similar to this and it does the job beautifully.
    AtariPC.net
    Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Blog Entries

There's also "Disk Manager" if you can find a copy. Same idea as EZ-Drive.

I have Disk Manager 5.1 and it supports 286 machines.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step