Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about 360k disk usage...

Default Question about 360k disk usage...

Hopefully a quick question. I understand that formatting a double density 5.25 disk in a high density drive (as a 360k disk) will make the disk difficult for a DD drive to read/write to. And apparently that, once done, the only way to "fix" the disk is to demagnetize it and reformat it in a proper drive. But is it alright to format the DD disk in a DD drive, and then write files to it using a 1.2MB drive? Or does that still mess up the disk?

I just want to be able to occasionally bring software over to my XT from my AT without having to install an XT-IDE/CF adapter or a 3.5" drive.

Thanks!

Yes, I use old, formatted, DSDD disks all the time in a 1.2M drive without having any problems using that disk in the 1.2M drive. Now, if you're asking whether a DD disk, formatted in a DD drive and written to in a 1.2M drive can be reliably read in a DD drive, that is a good question. That DD disk will possibly perform better than if it had been formatted in the 1.2M drive but I don't think it will perform reliably like it would had it been formatted and written to in a DD drive.

Try it and see. Each 1.2M drive seems to have its own capabilities with regard to writing reliable disks for DD drives. You've got nothing to lose and if it works for you you're all set.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    Hopefully a quick question. I understand that formatting a double density 5.25 disk in a high density drive (as a 360k disk) will make the disk difficult for a DD drive to read/write to.
    Yes.

And apparently that, once done, the only way to "fix" the disk is to demagnetize it and reformat it in a proper drive.
    No, you don't need degaussing, just a regular format in a 360KB drive.

But is it alright to format the DD disk in a DD drive, and then write files to it using a 1.2MB drive? Or does that still mess up the disk?
    Any sectors written to a 360KB media in a 1.2MB drive will be problematic to read in a 360KB drive.

I just want to be able to occasionally bring software over to my XT from my AT without having to install an XT-IDE/CF adapter or a 3.5" drive.
    There's plenty of ways to do that, I usually use LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    But is it alright to format the DD disk in a DD drive, and then write files to it using a 1.2MB drive? Or does that still mess up the disk?
    That still messes things up.

Any sector written by a 1.2mb drive will not be reliably readable on a 360k drive. Even if the disk is pre-formatted on a 360k drive.

Occasionally, I'll "feel lucky" and try to write a file to a pre-formatted 360k disk for my 360k systems using the 1.2mb drive in my Athlon system. Once in a while it will work, but I usually wind up regretting it, and have to transfer the files via a machine that has both a 1.44mb drive and 360k drive.

Maybe I'll look into getting a LAN setup going, then. Thanks!

LapLink is a good option and it's easy.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    LapLink is a good option and it's easy.
    I agree Laplink is what I use. Or, I still see Parallel Port 1.44mb Backpack drives on eBay. I ended up building one of these to give me the most flexibility.

http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-...a-fdc-and-uart
    -----[ Al ]-----

3 - TRS-80 Model I, TRS-80 Model 4D, LNW-80 Model I, Coco, 3 - Coco 2, Coco 3, 2 - Tano Dragon 64, C64, C64c, C128, 2 - Atari 800XL,
    Atari 520-ST, Atari Mega-2 ST, Amiga 1000, TS-1000, TS-2068, ZX-Spectrum, IBM 5150, 2 - Apple ][gs, Laser 128, and a butt load of Macs and Intel PCs.

Hey Al... long time no see. How's it goin' in your end of our state?

Hi
    If you take a demagnetized disk and then format it as a 360K on a 1.2M disk, you can almost always read it on the 360K drive as long as you only read it and not write it on the 360K drive.
    As soon as you write a sector on the 360K drive, that track can never be written again on a 1.2M drive and then read on the 360K drive again.
    It is the over writing of a 360K formatted or written on a 360K drive and then over written on a 1.2M drive that makes the disk unread able on the 360K drive. Consider formatting and writing as the same operation the only difference is formatting writes the sector headers. The track width is the same.
    It is the overwriting of a 360K track with a 1.2M written track( in 360K rate ) that makes the track unreadable in the 360K drive.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Hi
    If you take a demagnetized disk and then format it as a 360K on a 1.2M disk, you can almost always read it on the 360K drive as long as you only read it and not write it on the 360K drive.
    As soon as you write a sector on the 360K drive, that track can never be written again on a 1.2M drive and then read on the 360K drive again.
    It is the over writing of a 360K formatted or written on a 360K drive and then over written on a 1.2M drive that makes the disk unread able on the 360K drive. Consider formatting and writing as the same operation the only difference is formatting writes the sector headers. The track width is the same.
    It is the overwriting of a 360K track with a 1.2M written track( in 360K rate ) that makes the track unreadable in the 360K drive.
    Dwight
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense based on what I've been seeing.