Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM System/36 5364

Default IBM System/36 5364

I finally got my 5364 fully functional.

I have been surprised by the lack of documentation for the S/36 programming languages.

I am running Version 4, I have RPGII and BASIC installed, but am lacking manuals for both.

Anyone help with programming manuals, would be greatly appreciated.

EFCA6665-D8DF-47D0-AC8D-22112BD94940.jpg

Blog Entries

That is so good to hear.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Anyone help with programming manuals, would be greatly appreciated.
    Is there any sort of archive for IBM midrange media? I have a 5363 and could likely get a disk emulator running with a conversion cable. But there doesn't seem to be a software archive that has SSP + many of the programming languages.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Is there any sort of archive for IBM midrange media? I have a 5363 and could likely get a disk emulator running with a conversion cable. But there doesn't seem to be a software archive that has SSP + many of the programming languages.
    I think I have a copy of SSP + utilities for the S/36 PC somewhere in my collection of binders, but I am not sure if it complete. If it is, would disk images be of any use?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisPostContainsComputers View Post
    I think I have a copy of SSP + utilities for the S/36 PC somewhere in my collection of binders, but I am not sure if it complete. If it is, would disk images be of any use?
    Yes. The S/36 has been on the back-burner for a while. But it's getting more urgent as it's taking up valuable garage bench space. But I want to work towards open source twin-ax emulation and get it reloaded before calling an army over to help move it!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Disk Images would be great

Thank you,

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Is there any sort of archive for IBM midrange media?
    System 3x hasn't been of interest to hobbyists until pretty recently. Much has already been thrown out.
    Programming documentation and languages like fortran and basic have been difficult to find.
    I also suspect there is concern over IBM's reaction to someone posting their software on the web.

IBM had the Advanced/36 docs posted until a few years ago. I had occasionally referenced them. What I need for the RPG II and BASIC they would have worked fine.

I have an unlabeled 8-inch diskette that has the files ASMRI and FORTMRI. I don’t know this is a PTF diskette for the assembler and the compiler or if the assembler and compiler on the disk.

I have BASIC and COBOL as well as RPG II for my 5364.

I have an As/400 running Advanced System/36 emulation that has both the Assembler and Fortran Compiler, not that I know how to use either one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    I also suspect there is concern over IBM's reaction to someone posting their software on the web.
    It's the kind of thing sensible people keep to PM's.
    = Excellent space heater

Good advice

Thanks