Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching an external 8 " drive to a PC

Default Attaching an external 8 " drive to a PC

I have an 8 inch drive, a power adapter for the drive, a 50 to 34 pin adapter and a Compaticard II. Please see attached picture

I bought the drive from a member here, who calibrated the heads and I tested it attached to the Compaticard IV. I was able to image a disk.
    It looked like a derailed train on my workbench but it worked. I am trying to make a more permanent solution.

I want to add a 37 pin D-Sub connector to the end of the cable in the picture. Do I just connect pin 1 to pin 2 on the D-Sub connector.

The computer I plan to use is an IBM XT with 640K of memory, a ComptatICard IV which does not have the external connector and Glitch's XT-IDE version 3 with a Compact Flash card to store the images.
    The PC has a 360K floppy and a 1.2Meg Floppy. I want to add the second CompaticCard to drive the 8 inch drive. I have a good number of
    8" IBM SSP Diskette that I want to image using Image Disk. I them plan on patching the created image and write them back to 5 1/4 diskettes
    for my IBM 5364.

I read from MinusZeroDegrees website what pins to jumper the Compaticard II.

It's a half height drive if anyone has any suggestions for an enclosure, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jimmy
    CompaticardII.jpg

Blog Entries

Unless you've got software for it, ditch the CC II. It uses non-PC-standard density control. You want either a CC IV or a similar controller. I know that some of my products can handle it, but the feature hasn't been tested in at least 25 years. The CC I and II were early versions before the 5170 standardized the method of setting datarate.

Chuck:

What would you recommend? Which or your products should I use?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Blog Entries

If you use 22Disk (I assume that's one of the reasons why you bought an 8" drive), you can add a keyword (COMPATICARD) to the DISKETTE.CFG file that says you've using a CC I or II. Same for CopyQM. Anadisk uses its own configuration program, not the DISKETTE.CFG file.

But I'd still ditch the CC II and get something standard. Sergei's card is pretty good, as are many SCSI cards that include diskette support.

I have one of Sergei's cards as well as a couple of the XT-FDC cards from the forum here. They are version II I think, the ones where the 37 pin connector is inside 34 pin connector closest to the back of the PC.

I was trying to have an external connector for the 8 inch drive, I think I purchased a copy of 22Disk from you a couple of years ago. I will look to make sure.

Thank you again for all the help.

Blog Entries

It's a pretty simple matter to make a ribbon cable version of a 34-pin header to DC-37F IDC connector if you need one.

Chuck:

Does pin one of the Ribbon GOTO Pin 2 of the 37 pin connector.

Is it the first pin on the bottom row.

Blog Entries

No, it's the other way around. Pin 19 on the D-sub matches with pin 34 on the ribbon. In other words, pins 1-2 and 20 are unoccupied on the D-sub.

Note the D-sub pin numbering:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Sergei's card is pretty good, as are many SCSI cards that include diskette support.
    May I ask: Who is Sergei? And which SCSI cards, in particular?

Thanks.

-CH-

PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step