Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: How picky are you on computer cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    As long as there isn't an overabundance of blue LEDs, fine.
    Amusingly, my case does have a blue LED on it's fan. I'm not really sure of the point of lights and windows in cases so you can see inside... it's not mechanical, there really isn't anything going on in there to see... Though, that gives me an idea, i totally want to make some steampunk gear contraption that fits in front of the window in a computer case

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I do think retro systems installed in new black cases look kind of weird to me but finding an old case in good condition can be expensive and hard these days so I understand. People who hack an i7 into an old beige tower with the help of power tools make me cringe.
    Yeah, you and me both. Admittedly I was never a fan of beige boxes, so that might be part of it, but the concept of hacking something old into something new never felt right to me. I do it if I have to (like trying to get a modern stereo in your old (but not classic) car, but it's certainly not my first option. I've seen people hack i7 machines into those 90s/200s fat rounded compaq computer cases.. I don't get it.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

I also kind of like how newer cases have either dual settings for fans or temperature controlled ones to keep the noise down. The good thing about cases with windows is you can see when a FAN has seized up or if you left a screwdriver inside.

I grew up with beige cased computers so they don't bother me, I never liked the flower power imacs and colored PC clones at all but silver or black cases with matching drives faces look nice.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

The good thing about cases with windows is you can see when a FAN has seized up or if you left a screwdriver inside.
    Did that just yesterday after swapping a power supply, closed up a case with a razerblade inside (was using it to cut cable ties), then closed it up a second time without putting the drive lock back in.. but it was't the window but the rattle that gave it away.

I grew up with beige cased computers so they don't bother me, I never liked the flower power imacs and colored PC clones at all but silver or black cases with matching drives faces look nice.
    I grew up with them too, my first PC Clone was an XT built to order by a local manufacturer. It actually looked okay (similar to IBM's) and then later had many a beige box, but yeah, i don't miss them. But, I also grew up with wallpaper, and I don't have any nostalgia to bring that back either.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

If your case fans aren't temperature-controlled, it's easy enough to add TC. Blue LEDs are to me, eye-searingly bright--and TV is full of the blue theme.

When I finally quit needing to spend my time making sure that old gear is functional, maybe I'll build a nice wooden case. After all, the ATX form factor has been around for a long time, so the effort shouldn't be wasted. Why not a piece of fine furniture? Radio cabinets did that for many years.

Blog Entries

Less effort to have a built in solution then to hack one yourself. There are 5.25" bay TC you can connect cooling fans to if you like. Mostly I like the new style cable management where the wires are routed behind the motherboard, but the cases are fatter.

Wooden computer cases or even worse steam punk looks silly to me, like taking a modern appliance and making it look 17th century, good luck making it match with modern house furniture.

We all have out preferences which were probably decided in our youth. For example in stereo equipment like 90's era Technics with the LED lever meters and the black plastics. The earlier 70's silver metal and analog meters just look like crap to me. Advertisers are probably right in that by the time you hit 50 all your tastes are hard programmed and you just stick with that.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Less effort to have a built in solution then to hack one yourself. There are 5.25" bay TC you can connect cooling fans to if you like. Mostly I like the new style cable management where the wires are routed behind the motherboard, but the cases are fatter.

Wooden computer cases or even worse steam punk looks silly to me, like taking a modern appliance and making it look 17th century, good luck making it match with modern house furniture.

We all have out preferences which were probably decided in our youth. For example in stereo equipment like 90's era Technics with the LED lever meters and the black plastics. The earlier 70's silver metal and analog meters just look like crap to me. Advertisers are probably right in that by the time you hit 50 all your tastes are hard programmed and you just stick with that.
    Yeah, probably, but with the caveat that our tastes while generally the same doesn't mean its for the decade we grew up in. I grew up in the 70's and 80s and generally dislike most everything 'style wise' about those decades (especially the 70s)... I do like 80s music though. That said, I like the computers from the 70's and 80s because they were super 'sci-fi' looking, where-as now everything is pretty much a boring black box (though better than a boring beige box). Things like the TRS-80 AIO computers or Atari 800 are super unique looking, but 'fake wood paneled' stuff like stereos or say, the Atari 2600, not so much.

New computer cases are much nicer function wise, agreed on that. Every time I open an old PC case, nothing quite goes together right, they don't quite align, etc.. my newer case just fits on and cables route cleanly, etc. Although, i had to dig out this Dell Optiplex the other day so i could work on a SCSI drive for my Amiga, and I will have to say that it's 100% tool-less design was pretty awesome. Too bad it's full of proprietary stuff inside.
    -- Brian

I'm 26 and my personal taste stays with the stuff from the decades I grew up in. I'm pure nostalgia!

I like stuff from the early 2010's and earlier. Back from my early days, and up to when I first started building computers.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I'm 26 and my personal taste stays with the stuff from the decades I grew up in. I'm pure nostalgia!

I like stuff from the early 2010's and earlier. Back from my early days, and up to when I first started building computers.
    How did you wind up here since I'm pretty sure 2010 PC's aren't considered vintage by anyone. . Heck, my "main PC" is technically the latest and greatest from... 2012.
    -- Brian

I prefer IBM / Lenovo design. I have three W510s and one W520 in NC and one W510 in NL. Plus four ZR30ws in NC and one ZR30w in NL.

Blog Entries

Back in the 70s, the company I was working for decided to test the acceptance of some cost-reduced models of our desktop computer. The normal color scheme was two-tone; "string", which was a shade of light beige and "brown" (Think the color scheme of a DECwriter or VT100).

So, off to the paint shop a few cases went to be painted in black, orange, red, blue and yellow (!). The systems were assembled and Marketing did a customer survey. Not surprisingly, the survey said that the regular colors (beige and brown) were preferred, even over the black. Opinions on the primary colors were that they looked "cheap".

But then, IBM had various color options for the S/360. At the time, I recall that orange-ish red was very popular. Tastes change. Black is the new beige.

Blue was also popular. The red was the color of the background in this photo of a [i]yellow]/i] 360/20. Makes me a bit queasy...

But then, it was the sixties. Avocado kitchen appliances, burnt-orange shag carpeting...