Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my Gotek in - questions about flashfloppy if you know about it...

Default Got my Gotek in - questions about flashfloppy if you know about it...

The factory firmware does seem to work fine although it is addressing the USB stick as raw images (stacked 1.44MB images) on the USB stick.

I am thinking about upgrading to the flash floppy firmware, but once I do there will be no returning to the factory firmware so I have one main question before I do this:

Does flashfloppy not require the slotted image method? Meaning does it handle a regular FAT/FAT32 file system with images named 0, 1, 2, and so on as disk files on a standard format USB disk? I think it does, but I want to confirm this before moving to it.

Also, any other flashfloppy comments?

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    The factory firmware does seem to work fine although it is addressing the USB stick as raw images (stacked 1.44MB images) on the USB stick.

I am thinking about upgrading to the flash floppy firmware, but once I do there will be no returning to the factory firmware so I have one main question before I do this:

Does flashfloppy not require the slotted image method? Meaning does it handle a regular FAT/FAT32 file system with images named 0, 1, 2, and so on as disk files on a standard format USB disk? I think it does, but I want to confirm this before moving to it.

Also, any other flashfloppy comments?
    So there is nothing to retain on the 'factory' software, you'll be better off with Flashfloppy no matter what. You won't lose anything by switching.

With Flashfloppy (or hxc) you have mutliple ways to do things. First, it does use standard FAT/FAT32 formatted USB sticks. Second, you can do everything exactly how you have it now (with the regular 0000-xxxx.HFE files). If you want to go beyond that, flashfloppy also suppoorts non HFE disks for many computers, and it supports some auto menuing for a couple (ST/Amiga for instance). It also supports full file names if you swap out the stock LED to an OLED panel.
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Hi,

Thanks - you are right - flashfloppy is very nice. Firmware update was pretty easy as I had a TTL to USB adapter.

You can even set read-only on disk image writes to write protect them.

My only gripe is that you can't create a new disk on the FF, but have to take out the USB and take it to a PC to do that.

Hi,

Thanks - you are right - flashfloppy is very nice. Firmware update was pretty easy as I had a TTL to USB adapter.

You can even set read-only on disk image writes to write protect them.

My only gripe is that you can't create a new disk on the FF, but have to take out the USB and take it to a PC to do that.
    Yeah, I'm not sure that would be possible since there are so many disk formats, sizes, etc. of all the computer formats it supports. It would need some large onboard storage with all the technical specifications or maybe a blank image to copy over every time you wanted to "create a disk"
    -- Brian

Working Retro PC's: Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800, Atari 520STFM, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, Commodore SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

I see your point. I was thinking an empty disk that could then be virtually formatted, but it would be a pain with the two button UI which works remarkably well to select images that exist.

I'm waiting for a FFC to header adapter to come and we'll see if I can get it working with the Toshiba T1000SE, with no hard drive and a bad floppy drive it could use the storage!

I see your point. I was thinking an empty disk that could then be virtually formatted, but it would be a pain with the two button UI which works remarkably well to select images that exist.

I'm waiting for a FFC to header adapter to come and we'll see if I can get it working with the Toshiba T1000SE, with no hard drive and a bad floppy drive it could use the storage!
    Yeah, the problem is that there isn't really such thing as a standard disk. We could be referring to 180k, 360k, 1.2, 720, 1.44, and all kinds of other types.. even without it being formatted, it'd probably not be able to guess how physically it should be emulated without knowing the type of machine you're using it in. The way it works now is that it gets that from the file header info of the files already copied to the disk. It could maybe be done if you copied over a correct format disk to use as a template, but probably difficult to have it guess correctly.

And as you mentioned, the button situation is pretty limiting.
    -- Brian

I actually think the indexed mode with the buttons is not too bad. It isn't ideal, but much better than the factory this button does this digit and that button does that digit disaster. Holding a button traverses faster and faster which is the best it can be - I could see navigating through even hundreds of images not so bad, though I have not tried it yet. The problem with disk creation is that it has to be done on another machine ahead of time if the machine it is being used on doesn't support USB (which is likely given it is using a floppy drive).

Do you know if there is a faculty for control/communications between the host and the F-F gotek? Where people can tell the F-F to do something from the host side?

Do you know if there is a faculty for control/communications between the host and the F-F gotek? Where people can tell the F-F to do something from the host side?
    It is possible but no one has written the software to do it yet. Maybe you might want to do it?
    If you want, there are two Forth's that you can run on the Gotek but you'd still need to write the floppy interface stuff. You could stay in C but you'd need to write a command interpreter and connect it to the flashfloppy code. All such things are possible but do require significant learning.
    The Gotek processor has a OTG usb so can be a master or and endpoint. One can also just use a RS232 and keep the USB to USB thumb drive. You can rip the USB out and put in a SD card. You can make a interface to ttl board and plug right into the controller IC and emulate a floppy controller. The list of possible things goes on and on.
    The Gotek has a 72Mz arm processor. It can do a lot of things. It has timers, dma, specilized I/O. The bounds are only limited by your imagination and effort.
    Dwight

I'm a little familiar with STM32 having done some work on them with Atollic TrueStudio. I'm presuming that FF is written in C/C++, and I see it mention source, but the source is not in the download I pulled down.