Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempt at a time-period correct 386sx40

In 1992, there was that Sumitomo disaster, resulting in memory prices skyrocketing.
    So nobody was installing more than 4 MB of RAM in low-end PCs.
    Yes, it's easy to fill up the entire address space in a 386SX, but it wouldn't be period-correct.

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    Add a joystick from 1992-1994 on there as well (analog) and keep the 3.5" 1.44MB Diskette drive in there, however, if you have another 1.44MB 3.5" FDD drive that's beige in color, you can swap the drives around. Everything else looks fine to me. My Packard Bell wasn't very period correct itself until November, 2018, with the exception for the hard drive, which is a 4GB CF Card on the IDE interface (32-bit Local Bus access). I'll post pictures of my setup, however, I got rid of my CRT monitors since they stopped working, so an LCD monitor will suffice.
    Good point on the joystick ! Will look into that. Gotek will go and will go for the beige diskdrive / frontpanel (or one of those fake frontpanels). For me it doesn't have to be 100% time-period correct as I need some convenience as well (gotek is nice but its far from subtle to say the least. But via the network I can also pull in stuff relatively easily. I picked the seagate hard drive because those have a really distinct sound that I like. And my CRTs refuse to break

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    You also need a "super I/O" card, ie. IDE+FDC+LPT+GAME+COM1+COM2... but you probably already have it
    I'm not sure about that mouse, I associate such mice with the Windows 95 era, ie. somewhat later than your goal.
    Software-wise, it should have MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1, however, multiconfig is nice, so consider MS-DOS 6.20 as well.
    But avoid MS-DOS 6.0 - it was buggy.
    I have a pretty generic Acer based IO card. The mice bus just something that I had lying around and wasn't even hooked up But think I have one of these ugly 3 button rs232 mice lying around that should fit the system nicely
    Currently running ms dos 6.22 / win 3.11 cause it's all I had. Will check these versions to.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    That Apple sticker is not period correct by any stretch.
    It's for sentimental reasons I got the computer from this guy who told me it was an old apple computer cause it had this early apple logo sticker on it

2019-02-09 19.33.20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The 386sx is limited to 16MB of RAM (not an issue with you wanting 4MB). Is your CPU soldered to the board like most SX's?

ATI VGA Wonders were pretty common in 91/92 and had the bus mouse port built in.
    Thanks for the tip ... will take a look at that .. thought these were somewhat older.

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    In 1992, there was that Sumitomo disaster, resulting in memory prices skyrocketing.
    So nobody was installing more than 4 MB of RAM in low-end PCs.
    Yes, it's easy to fill up the entire address space in a 386SX, but it wouldn't be period-correct.
    Ah didn't know that ... indeed 4mb should be enough .... don't think many apps / games will need more. When I had my 486dx266 in 1995 or 1996 i remember also only having 4mb of ram for a while.

Blog Entries

My 386DX/40 had 16MB of RAM and an Cyrix FPU back in 1992-93? I did a lot of work in Excel back then.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

My 386DX 20 (very early 386--no chipset) has 13MB DIP on a memory card--there's no memory on the planar.

Blog Entries

I seen DIP on 286 boards, never on a 386 (must be very early board).

I have a 486 board with maybe 200 chips on it, no chipset. Of course it doesn't work.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

The 386 board has a 40 pin DIP for the NDP--I suspect it takes an 80287.