Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PDP-9 at the RICM

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
    Cool you have some Cray systems, are they functional units?
    Three of the Crays were functional when they were donated, but have not been powered up because of lack of a suitable power source. The SV1 was part of a 5 system super cluster, and we received 2 of the 5 SV1s. We likely have enough parts to get it running, but again, not enough power.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

That stinks that you don't have the power for them. What do they need for power, 3 Phase?

That stinks
    Yup, it sucks when your museum isn't funded by a dead billionaire.

That stinks that you don't have the power for them. What do they need for power, 3 Phase?
    The little Crays can run off a 220VAC single phase circuit. The big Crays need a lot more power. These are the power connectors for the T3E.

CRAY_T3E-900_power_connectors.jpg

I like the way someonís disconnected the 3-phase with an axe or some such. Very professional.

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    I like the way someon’s disconnected the 3-phase with an axe or some such. Very professional.
    Those are the mating connectors for the power cords on the CRAY, so we didn't care what the donor did. We were just happy to get the very expensive connectors.

Well, congratulations to the new facilities. Fun to hear that you will start to work at the PDP-9 again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    Maybe we could convince Anders to start with his machine. It at least sits in his garage. And now he finshed the Dectape dumping project, so it is time for another project, right Anders?
    Well, pretty soon. "Someone" has given me a new PDP-8 project to finish first, I should get the RK8E and the RK05 drive going.

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind
    To have two peripherals I expect you daisy chain that clumsy IO cables. Some kind of coaxial cables in it if I remember correctly. Do you have cables for connectong two devices?
    I'll need to take a look at yours, I think mine is missing too. So I need to come up with a solution here.

Blog Entries

Vince has already done the I/O cables, both "original" style and an updated version using ethernet cable to avoid crosstalk.

Regardless, my vote (if I get one) is that Anders finish his PDP-8 projects first!

Blog Entries

Yup. It would take someone with a fairly fat wallet to run a Cray I. MG set, chilled water supply...

Quote Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
    The little Crays can run off a 220VAC single phase circuit. The big Crays need a lot more power. These are the power connectors for the T3E.
    Russell-Stoll. Looks like 60A, but the "cheap", non-watertight ones. Not everything that comes with those plugs actually needs 60A 3-phase - those connectors were very common in IBM computer rooms, and sometimes when the IBM gear left, other stuff came in where it was advantageous to plug into the existing underfloor power. As an example, the VAX 8650 has a 60A R-S power cord, but is perfectly happy with an adapter that turns into an L21-30 (30A, same as what the VAX-11/780 uses). I ran a pair of 8650's that way at St. Potato's from then day they arrived on-site to when they were decommissioned many years later.