Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodbye Cctech Mailing List

Blog Entries

+1, Mike - and even better, it was easier to follow as a narrative in the digest than in a series of one-off emails.

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    No, it’s not dead, just that I’ve finally lost patience with the drivel on there and unsubscribed.
    It is in the style of Usenet, in particular alt.folklore.computers.
    I follow it and a.f.c for people looking for tech docs and answering questions.
    I take neither very seriously, in particular, the trolls who can't believe I recycle paper after it has been scanned.

The big problem is there are two lists, cctalk and cctech, and threads appear and disappear from one list
    to the other. People complain, but they can't just get it down to one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of digest mode.
    I barely see it on a daily basis.
    Because

Code:
    some           person     with the worlds
    worstmailclient    from 1  9  9  4
    insist that    it's     all fINE ON THEIR end but     h   a     l         f their emails
    LOOK LIKE THIS
    or
    the
    formatting
    is
    totally
    screwed
    and what better t     o    p   i   c for a DEC  disc    ussion    than   a trip   down a      very irrelevant    memory lane
    are caught by gmail and filtered into the spam folder.
    Last edited by NeXT; February 17th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
    = Excellent space heater

I'm subscribed from a gmail account (which I use only for such things), and one of the things that gmail is actually good for is mailing lists etc. with lots of mail and threads. I just let it collect there and I take a look now and then. It's like an archive of stuff that I can relatively easily search through if I want to find something.
    It would be absolutely hopeless to do this via thunderbird, which I use for more ordinary mail.

The thunderbird setup is pretty easy, and the threaded reading mode works well. I have a filter set up in Thunderbird, where any mail coming in from cctaslk@classiccmp.org or cctech@classiccmp.org gets an action of 'Move Message to' 'cctalk on Local Folders.' Then at my leisure I can go look in that folder and read it, threaded, with no clutter. And, most importantly to me, I can read it off-line, even many years later when a web forum will have gone away or moved or suffered a data loss (I wish over and over I had an archive of the conversations I participated in on nekochan!); and even though this forum is pretty well-protected from that by being overseen and run by a non-profit org, it could happen here, too. With the email setup I have a local archive that, as long as I backup my own machine and don't suffer data corruption, I won't lose access to. Even if I'm banned from posting, I can still read what I've not deleted.

I'm frequently amazed at how few people actually use many of the powerful features of email clients that can sort incoming mail for you, and read it in threaded mode. I get upwards of 6,000 emails per day; if it weren't for Thunderbird's filters and threaded mode it wouldn't be possible to organize (most of those emails are from automated systems for work, including temperature and humidity data points every minute on the minute for several locations; those go to their own folders). Mailing lists are a snap with the combination of filters and threaded mode reading. Much easier than web forums.

And then I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by AK6DN View Post
    ...The biggest issue (other than off topic talk) was that folks never or rarely changed subject lines, creating long meandering threads about everything and anything. Most of the time the title of the thread had nothing to do with the body. On this forum users are by nature much more consistent (ie, this thread is: Goodbye Cctech Mailing List).
    I almost spewed my coffee; I have seen (and participated in!) substantial and frequent topic drift on these forums, too. Regardless of the particular communications medium used, people will go off on tangents; mailing lists versus usenet versus web forums/BBS forums (they're the same thing, just a different interface) make no difference whatsoever by themselves when talking signal to noise, in my 30+-year experience, which includes being on alt.folklore.computers back in the day. What makes the most difference in signal to noise, regardless of the technical means used to facilitate the communication, is effective and fair moderation by multiple moderators. EDIT: And, yes, we have some great moderators on VCF. Thanks, mods!
    Last edited by lowen; February 18th, 2019 at 07:16 AM.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Blog Entries

The problem with subject lines in mailing lists is that tangential replies still need to be tied to the original thread, or they lose their context. Of course, with an online web forum like this one, there is no way, short of starting a completely new thread with no tie back to the original of doing this.

People don't converse or think linearly. Go to a public gathering some time and listen to just a single conversation among more than two people.

Our computer discussion software, be it mailing list or online forum refuses to acknowledge that. I believe that we're still in the primitive stages of "social media", however you define it.

See? My gripe in the last sentence should be a new thread, but tie back to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I barely see it on a daily basis.
    Because

Code:
    some           person     with the worlds
    worstmailclient    from 1  9  9  4
    insist that    it's     all fINE ON THEIR end but     h   a     l         f their emails
    LOOK LIKE THIS
    or
    the
    formatting
    is
    totally
    screwed
    and what better t     o    p   i   c for a DEC  disc    ussion    than   a trip   down a      very irrelevant    memory lane
    are caught by gmail and filtered into the spam folder.

Ah yes. Ed Sharpe's emails.

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

I wish people would follow the thread order to know whether to bottom or top post their replies to maintain the flow and to < snip > text that is redundant.

--------Never going to happen---------

It seems beyond some people to handle this and these people tend disproportionately to post the most on message boards. That said, I remain a member and have no intention to leave.

You get what you pay for.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio