Image Map Image Map

Thread: Even more Latitude D630's

Default Even more Latitude D630's

I just stumbled across yet another stack of Latitude D630's... I think these things are breeding in the dark to be honest... Core 2 Duo with either 1 or 2 gigs of RAM. Hard drives included. No AC adapters, I don't know where they went, but if they show up I will include them.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

I'd be interested in one or two of these if you still have them. I believe I have some compatible AC adapters already. Are any still available?

EDIT: PM sent
    Last edited by PrintStar; March 10th, 2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Jeff Armstrong
    Still a Rainbow 100 user...

If you want to charge the batteries, you need to use Dell compatible chargers. It is annoying. Even with the right charger, every now and then they misidentify the charger and let the battery run down. On otherwise nice machines, there is nothing like pulling it off the charger and finding you have 10 minutes left on the battery because it was afraid to charge itself.
    Anyway, they are not too much on ebay.
    Do these have disk and a proper windows install?
    Dwight

I have a third party charger for a Dell Inspiron 9300 and while it generally functions OK it does have one quirk. While running with the charger plugged in the touchpad doesn't respond evenly and smoothly all the time. It gets jerky and even sticks for a bit at times. The only way to avoid this is to either disconnect the charger and run off of the battery or ground yourself to a metal part of the case while using the touchpad and charger. To be sure, the laptop doesn't exhibit this strange behavior when a bonafide Dell charger is plugged into it. And the third party charger does charge the battery fully every time.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    If you want to charge the batteries, you need to use Dell compatible chargers. It is annoying. Even with the right charger, every now and then they misidentify the charger and let the battery run down. On otherwise nice machines, there is nothing like pulling it off the charger and finding you have 10 minutes left on the battery because it was afraid to charge itself.
    Anyway, they are not too much on ebay.
    Do these have disk and a proper windows install?
    Dwight
    Dwight,
    I usually DBAN them. They come with XP COA's and I can load XP and drivers if people request it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have a third party charger for a Dell Inspiron 9300 and while it generally functions OK it does have one quirk. While running with the charger plugged in the touchpad doesn't respond evenly and smoothly all the time. It gets jerky and even sticks for a bit at times. The only way to avoid this is to either disconnect the charger and run off of the battery or ground yourself to a metal part of the case while using the touchpad and charger. To be sure, the laptop doesn't exhibit this strange behavior when a bonafide Dell charger is plugged into it. And the third party charger does charge the battery fully every time.
    3rd party laptop chargers are usually horrific electrocution, fire and explosion hazards. The laptop likely acts erratically because the output of the charger is likely horribly unstable and has off the charts ripple current.

I've chopped the ends off of counterfeit laptop power adapters and scoped them out, not one of them put out a clean power signal and would droop heavily under load. Cracking open the case revealed the PCBs being barren with no protections and an absolute minimal set of components to get it barely working.

I can't count how many laptop motherboards I've had to replace from counterfeit adapters blowing them up. I'd recommend throwing it away, used genuine Dell adapters can be gotten on Ebay for $20 or less.

I've still got about 10-20 of these; looking for $10 ea, plus flat rate.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3