Image Map Image Map

Thread: Commodore 64 Blue Chip Drive and Monitor Capacitors

Default Commodore 64 Blue Chip Drive and Monitor Capacitors

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what capacitors I need to do my Commodore 64 and drives. I have a Blue Chip brand 5.25 drive with my Commodore 64. it is a BCD/5.25 with a serial of 026060 and FCC of E2550FBCD/5.25. I opened it up and saw two boards with capacitors on them. Some were clearly marked, while most were the little flat round ones. What each said ranged from 101, 223, 473 z, 68, to some with a couple random symbols and these numbers. Figured I should try asking if anyone happened to know what caps I needed.

I also have the 1702 monitor and Commodore cassette drive. Is there anything I need to change in these?

Thanks

I'm going to wait to actually change anything in these. But if anyone knows about the drive feel free to post

The monitor, c64 and the datassette are not usually capacitors that need to be replaced. With the monitor I think one of the common issues is cold solder joints or cracked solder joints which can cause flickering or interference on the screen. I have not replaced any cap in my C64's, 128 or Amiga 500's nor any drives. Someday I am sure I will need to replace them all. But these aren't the caps like they put on the later Amiga's and Macs, SMD junk that are prone to leaking.

I have actually removed the caps in one 64 original model that I was junking because of a damaged board and every single one of them were still in spec and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
    The monitor, c64 and the datassette are not usually capacitors that need to be replaced. With the monitor I think one of the common issues is cold solder joints or cracked solder joints which can cause flickering or interference on the screen. I have not replaced any cap in my C64's, 128 or Amiga 500's nor any drives. Someday I am sure I will need to replace them all. But these aren't the caps like they put on the later Amiga's and Macs, SMD junk that are prone to leaking.

I have actually removed the caps in one 64 original model that I was junking because of a damaged board and every single one of them were still in spec and had no problems.
    I guess I forgot that it was more the capacitors specifically that was in the Macs and less of the age. Some part of me just suddenly thought that I needed to change the caps in my other older computers.

It may be a good thing I thought about this though. I needed to do the analog boards on the Mac Classics I have.