Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 360k Floppy Drive

After six months I have gotten everything sorted. I procured some 360k disks from my uncle who loves vintage computers as well. After finding the disk images for PC-DOS 3.30, I can say my 5160 is successfully working. Thank you for all the help.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, and welcome to the wonderful world if IBM PC vintage computing
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Keep an eye out for a reasonable price 8bit ISA HD floppy controller. Some want a ridiculous price for one but I've gotten several for under $25 over the last couple of years. Look close when someone selling a lot of old ISA cards that go for pennies. This allow you to use a 360,720,1.2 & 1.44 drives with your PC/XT. The card uses it's own bios and no driver needs to be used.

Finding new cards, cheap, to add to the system is half the fun.

framer

Blog Entries

Any 16-bit i/o card will do. You just need a small tsr called 2M to access high density drives. As long as the over hanging unused rear section clears components. Details https://sites.google.com/site/misterzeropage/
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

That program is actually called, 2M-XBIOS and it really works great! It's the easiest, simplest method I've come across to get a high density floppy working in an XT.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I've used GeoffB17's method for years and never had an issue. The key is to wipe the disk CLEAN with a strong magnet. Only format or write to is on the 1.2M drive!
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    Keep an eye out for a reasonable price 8bit ISA HD floppy controller.
    framer
    In my 5155 I have a "Unique" brand floppy controller that supports two floppy drives. I installed a dual 3.5/5.25" Teac drive unit in one bay and a Seagate ST256 HDD in the other bay. It all worked out very well. I kept the original 5.25 drives (which are a belt drive type) just in case somebody wants to put it back to original one day. It is very handy with the 3.5" drive and DOS 3.3 using 1.44Mb floppies to get data in and out of the computer from a newer computer I have with an external USB floppy drive, but also good for vintage 5.25 disks and having the HDD there for all the programs I frequently use. Dos 3.3 I think was the first version to support the 1.44Mb floppy. I assigned the 5.25 drive as A, that way the computer can boot from vintage games disks like Paperboy.