Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: storing pc parts out in the open

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    One of my neighbour's males (she's a cat breeder) was boarding at our house for a couple years whenever he wasn't out breeding, and he liked to... mark "his" stuff. That little bugger buggered up the traces on one of my Tandy keyboards. Managed to repair all but one of the membrane traces, but those silicone dome cups are a pain to re-align, so I've just got it on my "get-back-to-it-later" list. Not something I'd waste time on for generic keyboards, but obviously vintage hardware is worth trying to restore to at least "working" order.
    Not intending to use you as an example here, but what is it with people in the old electronics hobbies in general that seem to have issues with sketchy roommates/neighbors/basement tenants and cats that piss everywhere?
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

I got rid of the cat. Have two dogs now that don't seem to care much for the electronics stuff. About all they'll do is sleep on the floor while I'm working. As far as elderly, well, I need only look in a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Not intending to use you as an example here, but what is it with people in the old electronics hobbies in general that seem to have issues with sketchy roommates/neighbors/basement tenants and cats that piss everywhere?
    I don't know about the rest, but I also have noticed that computer people in general tend to prefer cats.

Being in the autistic spectrum myself, I don't mind saying that cats tend to act like autistic children. The autistic mind (at least those of us who are high-functioning) seems to be congenial for working with computers, and obviously not everybody who works with computers IS autistic, but it's there, so that could be a possible correlation.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Do a Google Search for "Conductive Anodic Filaments" (CAFs) if you want to find out more about why electronics fail just from sitting around.

And then there's tin "whiskers" to worry about with the rise of "lead-free" regulations. Only really an issue in densely packed PCBs with fine pitch, like smartphones and such, but one usually doesn't have their smartphone for more than a few years anyways.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Plastics are the worst for sunlight. Some plastics are also bad for moisture as well. I just got an older parallel keyboard where the plastic frame has a white crust of decayed plastic. It is enough to make some of the keys to stick. I suspect it was high moisture and heat combination. Old radio knobs and even the banana jacks on my Heathkit EC-1 show a similar crusting.
    I don't worry as much about static but don't live where it gets really cold in the winter. I recall being in Las Vegas, one winter, and it almost knock me off my feet reaching for a door handle, even with a key to touch first. When people used phone modems there was often a lot of lighting damage to computers. I recall buying a box with about 30 or so lightning damaged modem boards. I was still able to recover about 30% by swapping parts. I sold most to friends ( with no complaints. They were obsolete long before latent damage showed up ). Static can be an issue but well designed parts, not under power at the time can take a little bit of discharge. The 4051,'52,'53 CMOS analog gates were really sensitive until connected to loads. An ungrounded soldering iron would damage them.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Heat and sunlight do accelerate the loss of plasticizer in many formulations such as ABS, leading to cracking and crumbling. There's nothing that I'm aware of that can repair that. There's some stuff that's so brittle that it won't even hold glue.

Plastic is not that great when it's brand new.
    If you spray plastic with alcohol,oil or acid it just may depolymerize before your eyes.
    Most paints and glues embrittle plastic.

Although ESD is often caused by disparate plastic materials (and those wearing them),
    I will admit that ungrounded transformers are a dangerous source of ESD.

"Don't use a battery with an Alkali metal. Use Lithium."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkali_metal
    They hardly ever leak, explode,catch fire, cause hairs, etc...

I've no PET's.
    You commodores out rank me in these things.
    Last edited by watlers_world; March 2nd, 2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: redact

Quote Originally Posted by watlers_world View Post
    "Don't use a battery with an Alkali metal. Use Lithium."
    Lithium is the first alkali metal in the periodic table!
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Stone, you may have a point.
    Well then, I guess people just buy lithium batteries because they are cheaper than the other types.
    It's a good thing that batteries are the only circuit board items that contain electrolytic substances.
    We can always replace those old batteries with some extra-large capacitors.

When one considers that, mercury is commonly found within other common metals such as lead,tin,copper,lithium,gold,etc...
    One might think that mercury played a part in the transport of metal ions through gelled membranes.
    And that perhaps the ionization might accelerate the atomization of these toxic metal ions.

Or one might just notice a bad smell near their circuit boards.